Aloha AA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fuj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi AA. I have been on this site since I got my tanks and did a bad job of prepping my first tank. Through everyones great advice I managed to do a cycle in a full (5 small ruby barbs and 2 spotted corys) 10g planted tank without killing anyone. Thanks AA.

Im a 29 Male living on Oahu, Hawaii. I just started this Hobby. I have always have had pets. I got in to this because my girlfriend that I live with is allergic to animal dander. I guess Im becoming more domesticated as I get older(I garden aswell) and party less :), maybe this should be a sad face. I enjoy everything outdoors in or out of the water.

I plan to move most if not all of the residence of my original tank to a larger tank (They will eventually out grow the 10g) and put my little bros goldfish in the 10g, but that will be in a month or so. The longer I am doing this hobby the more I want to do. Saying that I have alot of Ideas and want to run some past you folks.

When changing the fish to the new tank after I plant and fishless cycle then new tank should I transfer the whole school at a time(5 small ruby barbs) or just a few at at time? When I first bought them I only got 3 and they were not happy till there were 5. When I move those guys over can I get the goldfish in the 10g with the corys? will it affect the cycle moving so many fish in and out?

Living Hawaii and I am wondering how easy is it to ship fish out here. Is it worth it and does anyone know a good LFS or any breeders here? I found a few ok LFS so far.

And lastly. There is a really nice stream and waterfall that goes back in to the valley behind my home and it has crayfish. Do you think I could just move them from the stream to my tank? how many should I get? and what should I keep them with, Goldfish or corys/barbs? is there anything i should be wary of in doing this?

Hmm this became little off subject from the introduction.

Well Thanks for having me here at AA and I look forward spending more time and money with this hobby.

... I guess Im becoming more domesticated as I get older(I garden as well) and party less :), maybe this should be a sad face.

Dude... a garden maybe but never a sad face!!! Yes you should/can transfer all 5 Ruby's together. Friends and family you know. That and they're schoolers. And your Goldie can go in the 10g kerplunk. No worries about cycling there. Cycling doesn't have anything to do with fishie transfres. It's all about a new tank. There's no bacteria in the water, gravel, filter, etc. in a new tank so that's why you get a cycle. That's the bacteria establishing itself. Even a complete water change, as long as you leavre the gravel and such probably won't cause a tank cycle because there's plenty of bacteria in the gravel and such.

The Crays... Hmmm, I dunno there. I don't think off hand they'd be compatible with your other fish but maybe someone else here knows. Anybody???

Oh, I almost forgot. Welcome to AA.

i have a stream in my back yard with cray fish and i was wondering the same thing.because im interested in getting some inverts for my tank

Back
Top Bottom