Anchor worm? gold fish with bump on head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tulipluv17

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please help me. I've had this goldfish for 7 years. It's never had this problem before and I'm not sure what's wrong. The nearby pet store doesn't have a fish expert so I'm hoping someone here can help. I suspect the goldfish has anchor worn but not sure. It is in a 55 gallon tank. We had 2 other fish that died a few years ago. It's been a long time since this fish grew a black spot on the forehead and we hadn't seen anything different until now. The fish is trying to attach to the filter. It is spending a lot of time on the bottom of the tank and not moving as much as it did. It seems ill for the past week. We changed the water and it did better but this morning for the first time we saw a white spot on the black spot. We also noticed it looked like it had grown a bump on the original black spot. It seems like there is some foreign object inside the black spot that makes it appear like a white spot. These pictures are the best I can do. Please help me. The only thing the pet store did say was that if it was an anchor worm to give it a treatment for 10 days. They told me not to attempt to remove the anchor worm because it's chances of dying are higher. Is this true? I would appreciate any guidance or help. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6042.jpg
    IMG_6042.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6045.jpg
    IMG_6045.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6046.jpg
    IMG_6046.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6047.jpg
    IMG_6047.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 50
usually you can actually see the worm attached to the fish.You can see pics if you search it.
I would guess the fish has a tumor/cyst or possibly lymphocystis..
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom