Another New Member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lynn W.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!
We had an aquarium for about 10 years when the kids were young. The "baby" is now 21 and at college. I was cleaning out the attic last week and came across our old aquarium and decided to set it up again. It's a 20 gallon tank in good repair. The pump, heater, and hood light were all too old to salvage, so I went last weekend to buy new and improved models. I cleaned out the tank with vinegar. Bought some new gravel and reread the fish book. The aquarium has been going for over 48 hours--water conditioned, temperature and pH good. I bought some water plants this time (before we only had plastic)--Java fern, a moss ball, needle leaf ludwigia, and water wisteria. Tonight I bought the first fish: a pleco, an algae eater, a sunburst platy, a red wag platy, a black molly, and a cremesicle lyretail molly. Everyone is fed and getting used to their new surroundings. The cat is fascinated by this new addition to his den. I imagine he and I will spend many relaxing hours watching our fishies. I would love to have a black lyretail molly, but I can't find anyone locally who sells them. (We live in Murfreesboro, TN.) I may add a swordtail or some neon tetras, but this is about it. All of the fish are small right now--even the pleco, although our last one lived for 10 years and was about a foot long. Hubby asked why no black moor or red tailed shark, so we may be setting up a second tank eventually.
Anyway, I'm a little rusty at owning fish, so I may be asking questions of the group. Glad to be here!
Lynn

Hi and welcome! You may want to take a look at that link above. The tank hasn't cycled yet and theres' a good number of fish in there for an uncyled tank, which means toxins are going to rise quickly. What kind of pleco? Commons can grow to 1-2 feet. Some algae eaters grow rather large as well and can become destructive/aggressive as they mature. Ask more questions if we can help!

Hey! Go to Aquatic Critter on Nolensville pike for EVERYTHING. But Animal CIty in the boro also has good fish (and used to even have a walaby lol). My ex just took our yellow lab cichlids there because he moved :( But feel free to ask with questions--read about the cycling process--some of your fish might die and you should understand why. Aquatic Critter can also order fish if you want one you cant find.

Thanks for the Advice!

Hello and thanksa for the warm welcome!

I didn't know about cycling and the "what do I do now" article was helpful. Guess I will get a test kit and roll up my sleeves to do some water changing for the next month. So far, the 6 fish are doing fine. I know the pleco (standard pleco?) and the algae eater will get big--really big. That's why I think we will be adding a second tank eventually. (I will cycle it first!)

I love the folks at Animal City. (I remember the wallaby) and they have been helpful. I may check out Petco and Pet Smart, too. And it looks like I will try a trip to Nashville, as well. I really would like a black lyretail molly or two--they are my favorite fish. But, first things first, I need to start cycling my tank. (I guess there'll be some changes made--in more ways than one! Ha ha!)

Anyway, thanks again!

Petco and Petsmart are ok but not really knowledgable people. Aquatic Critter has people that have worked there for 20 years. Even have aligators on the reptile side. I remember another pet store in the boro it was near panera and old navy and walmart but I forgot the name, I think it went out of business. Anyway glad to see another fish keeper in the area!! I love it.

Back
Top Bottom