another newbe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dannew

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all you have a great site im fairly new to fresh water tropical and hope to get some advice on my current tank im having a few issues with water chemistry mainly nitrites I had a 20g tank going for approximately 6 weeks the tank was going well I was using seachem stability to cycle my tank as well as prime the I came across a deal I could not refuse a 55g tank at a great price so my steps as follows I filled tank with water from my smaller tank and toped with tap water moved all fish gravel ect and took media from old filter and put in new and continued with stability all was ok but I recently checked my nitrite levels and was shocked to find then really high at 5.0 I have been doing regular 30% water changes using prime and stability and level s are still high what can I do to reduce the levels the fish seem fine witch is weird but there not gasping for air and all seem happy any help would be great im getting desperate :thanks:

Welcome to AA! We hope you enjoy ;)

Your levels may have increased on that because it's going to have a mini cycle from it being new but with an old filter. The bio load could be different from the other tank to this one giving more ammonia an nitrites that the filter needs to adjust to. It won't be long and it will be fine just keep testing and doing water changes as needed. What are you using to test with?

Im useing a drip test not the api ive ordered it after reading this forum seems to be the best thanks heaps for uour help

Do I need to add cichlid salts to my tank is it necessary also my nitrite levels have almost dropped to 0 thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom