Another newbie here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lindsaylaw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I am new to the (saltwater)hobby. I have a 70g corner tank. I have live sand and a sump. I am having lots of problems getting the Berlin skimmer to work - I might throw it out soon! My tank has been set up for 13 days. Ammonia is zero and nitrite is climbing. I have 2 clowns as starter fish but one is not looking very healthy right now and I may lose him :( . I have been lurking finding out great information from this board.

My first loss

Well one clown has died. :cry:The nitrite level was likely too high. I did another partial water change just now and will test again once the waters have mixed a bit more. I am a bit disappointed but not discouraged. I am just going to learn from this mistake. I hope the other clown makes it. If not, I will wait to see the nitrite level stay zero for several days before adding another fish.
BTW I have set up a Berlin system with a plenum and a deep sand bed. I am using live sand, base rock and a bit of live rock.
Also, I solved my problems with the Berlin skimmer - turns out I hooked it up wrong!:oops:

Welcome aboard. Post your questions on the SW forums for more people to see.

Welcome to the site!
Check out my sig block to learn about the fishless cycle and lots of other great info.

You really would of been alot better off to DO a fishless cycle. And also avoid putting ur clowns through all that stress that they are going through. You could of dropped a raw piece of jumbo shrimp in there and would of been fine, and not killed anything.

WELCOME ABOARD!!

I also wouldn't run the skimmer till the cycle was over and you do a large (30% - 50%) partial water change. Please read the SW articles on this forum (Roka64 has the link in his sig). There's a lot of good information there. And....

welcometoaa.gif

Back
Top Bottom