Any suggestions for a lay out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rocks ok i have a few already but want decorations like skulls or pirate not sure with plant but last plant had in 20g grew crazy n made tank dirty

That tank looks WAY too small for an African. What tank size is it? Also Africans destroy plants. So you can have any, anyway. I've never heard of plants making your tank dirty (I have a planted tank myself). If you like cheesy decor you can use whatever you want. But just making caves out of rocks look great.

That tank looks WAY too small for an African. What tank size is it? Also Africans destroy plants. So you can have any, anyway. I've never heard of plants making your tank dirty (I have a planted tank myself). If you like cheesy decor you can use whatever you want. But just making caves out of rocks look great.

Oh really to small its a 30g i been running 20g already with same fish for last year and half didnt think its the size of the aquarium more the maintenance n how u condition the tank but hey its a hobby and anything put inside is goin to cost money funny cheesy stuff cost more than drift wood and rocks how crazy that but thanks for the advice ;)

Oh really to small its a 30g i been running 20g already with same fish for last year and half didnt think its the size of the aquarium more the maintenance n how u condition the tank but hey its a hobby and anything put inside is goin to cost money funny cheesy stuff cost more than drift wood and rocks how crazy that but thanks for the advice ;)

Some say say you can get away with a 30 gallon but I would upgrade to at least a 55

I Agree a 55 is nice for Africans...no plants unless fake and you will be replanting them in the gravel alot! I only had rocks with my Africans as the buggers LOVED digging up the entire bottom. My SA cichlids did the same. Spent their entire adult lives digging out holes an defending them from anyone who passed by. And if they didn't do that...they were actively engaged in wars with all their neighbors! Never a dull moment in those tanks....And then came all the fry!!!!

I Agree a 55 is nice for Africans...no plants unless fake and you will be replanting them in the gravel alot! I only had rocks with my Africans as the buggers LOVED digging up the entire bottom. My SA cichlids did the same. Spent their entire adult lives digging out holes an defending them from anyone who passed by. And if they didn't do that...they were actively engaged in wars with all their neighbors! Never a dull moment in those tanks....And then came all the fry!!!!

They're so fun to watch. Full of personality the older they get.

They're so fun to watch. Full of personality the older they get.

Yeah i have 3 little ones in new tank build bacteria and they already recognize me and the wife its pretty cool im excited. im trying to look for 55 and sell these two tanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i have 3 little ones in new tank build bacteria and they already recognize me and the wife its pretty cool im excited. im trying to look for 55 and sell these two tanks

Does any of your pet store do trade ins? You could probably trade those 2 in for a 55.

Hi I'm an amateur so correct me if I'm wrong but the type of rocks should be flat like slate, stack the rocks to form caves, and make sure you start building them close to the back otherwise they won't swim out to you often. Also since Africans would be tight in there, you could a breeding pair of convicts and watch the amazing course of their behaviors.

Hi I'm an amateur so correct me if I'm wrong but the type of rocks should be flat like slate, stack the rocks to form caves, and make sure you start building them close to the back otherwise they won't swim out to you often. Also since Africans would be tight in there, you could a breeding pair of convicts and watch the amazing course of their behaviors.

It doesn't matter really where, how, or what type of rocks you use. As long as you have caves. But, a breeding pair of convicts would fit perfectly in a 20 or 30.

Does any of your pet store do trade ins? You could probably trade those 2 in for a 55.

Im not sure if they do trade ins. I only commit to one store. They take care of me really well. I want a 55 but not to focus on getting it. My next fish tanking working on getting is a 32g nano salt

Rocks can be anything that doesn't "fizzle" when you put vinegar on it. I got some from my back yard. But make sure that foundation tht lay on is good bc they like to dig. This pic shows one dug out and spit gravel out like 2 inches

image-3034513598.jpg

The tie little gray "eye" looking things in the middle were rocks I had laying in top of the gavel next to the cave to the left. They are now buried

Back
Top Bottom