Aquarist Newbie Needs Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarist Newbie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Southern California by the largest aquarium: The P
Hi, Y'all:

I live by the Pacific Ocean and figure it's time to 'bone up' on stuff about caring for fish. Someone 'gifted' me with a pair of goldfish in a cup outside of a Petco and I didn't have the heart to give them back or abandon them to an uncertain fate at the store.

I wasn't sure what the store would do to them? The garter snake in my classroom used to eat :fish1:! :(

I'm too much of a 'softie' when it comes to creatures, I guess, and so, now I'm trying to care for them. However, I don't want to :banghead:.

Therefore, I would appreciate any and all advice about caring for them and moving them to a better tank environment that will make them happy and keep me happy without sending me to the 'poorhouse.':hide:

The fish on your album looks like a parrot cichlid my dear. Did they say goldfish?

Oh crap. Nvm now I feel dumb. That's how u want ur tank set up. Silly me :-/. Ok. How many goldfish do you have? Do you know what kind they are?

Again. I read your profile.... 2 diff comets. They can get quite large, how long do you plan on keeping them? What is their current size?

Thanks for getting back to me SKB. I appreciate the replies.

They look to be a pair of inch and a half long Comets. Maybe one is a Sarasa Comet. The other could be a Common, but I think it's a regular Comet.

I subscribe to the "no creature left behind" philosophy, but when I adopt a creature, it is usually for the long term and typically the rest of its natural existence. However, when I look at the requirements for housing and caring for them properly for the term, the space limitations in my tiny apartment are daunting.

More ...

I should also add that after carefully considering everything based on my own limited research after accepting them, because of my space and budget limitations, I am for the moment resigned to the strong possibility that I may have to give them up and exit my nascent fish keeping hobby.

What is the best way to find a new home for goldfish without them ending up dead or as feeder fish? Is there a goldfish sanctuary? Not sure what a pet store would do with them. Any thoughts?

Maybe, you can find solutions to my problems I hadn't thought of and change my mind?

Even More ...

Here's the dilemma. Although they are young and small, I understand that they can grow into sizable fish.

I am told they require a minimum 29-55gal environment or more. For now, I may be able to get away with a 20gal Long tank: 30x12.5x12.

Problem is, I still can't figure out where to put it. No area I found accommodates the length unless I go with a vertical tank with a smaller footprint that will fit in a corner.

Further I am in an earthquake prone area and I feel that an acrylic tank is essential. That is more costly and possibly beyond my budget especially when it requires a proper stand/cabinet specifically designed to support it.

I can't afford any water damage and the tank must be of a quality and reliability that is warranted against leakage and breakage in normal use. I will absolutely need a tank-specific stand to avert any potential issues with my landlord and most certainly support the tank warranty that is involved.

Secondly, I understand that the fish need as much horizontal swimming room as possible and will be happier with a longer shallower tank of the dimensions above rather than a more vertical one. They should be entitled to thrive in a minimally ideal environment - not a column tank.

The only place I can put anything is in a wall corner if I go with a smaller footprint like an acrylic pentagon, hexagon or cube and, as you know, the cost escalates dramatically with these shapes and stands.

Finally, I have purchased a glass Aqueon tank (a 20gal) provisionally in the dollar-a-gallon Petco sale along with an inexpensive Petco Brooklyn 29/20L gal sturdy metal frame stand (that requires assembly) at clearance to have something on hand temporarily, but I can't find space for them. I realized I don't have any space for a 20gal Long tank anywhere in my place. Since it is glass, I don't want to use it temporarily even.

I have an acrylic Marineland System Crescent 5gal on sale for $25 from Petsmart to house them temporarily - it is better than a styrofoam cup - but, as you know, it isn't ideal in the short and especially long term. The maintenance is ridiculous on the smaller tank and I need a minimal maintenance setup that meets my requirements.

Since you are all more experienced hands than I, maybe you know of something that'll work and fit my situation? Help? :banghead:

Do you have a local pet store that might take them? I'm not an expert but I think a 20 gallon high would be better then a 5 gallon right now. Does anyone have goldfish or comet ponds around you? Any website that's somewhat local you could post them? A newspaper you could make an ad for them?

Thanks for the reply. Just want to find a good home for them if I decide I can't keep 'em.

I think the Petco put up this guy to hand out pairs of fish in a cup to passerbys in the hope of generating business for products and supplies. They offered to take them back, but that's when I should have accepted.

I brought them home and grew attached to them. They're doing well, but it's time for another frequent water change.

Don't think a pet store is viable now. They may take em, but I'd have a guilty conscience for letting these fish go with an uncertain fate if they might become feeder fish.

No fish ponds around here that I know of that could accept them. Don't know of a local website I can post 'em on or which paper might list 'em.

I'm still wrestling with the situation. I'm going to have a look at a 32gal acrylic tank that is available fairly cheap under $100. Problem is the Eclipse filtration system that fits it is expensive. $168 and he won't come down.

I heard that the Eclipse filtration systems have been discontinued and parts are hard to find. Don't know if there were any inherent defects involved and don't want to hassle with problems.

Don't want to waste good money on a dinosaur. Aquarium guy says the tank can be modified to take other systems? Don't know if I want to fool with that?

Do you know if the Eclipse systems that would fit this tank are any good? I heard some of the otherwise reputable rival acrylic tanks that are designed to fit the Eclipse are the ones to avoid because of leakage issues.

This whole thing's got me down. Hope to figure it out!

I'm about to post a thread to help you lol. Old about the question you asked. Like I said I'm no expert. But ik how u feel, I hate and unless it has to has to has to be done I've never returned a fish to a fish store.

I will say, before I found this forum, well before I knew there was anything to learn about fish, I kept some goldfish (from a fair) in a 20 gallon for 2 years or so. So I'd say if u can get the biggest tank that can fit into ur place, you'll be ok until u can figure something else out.

I'm gonna message a few people I trust. And hopefully I can get some information for you, ok?

I guess do the best you can for it, but you should try to regime them as soon as you can unless you can find a way to appropriately home them... That's the best information I can give.... Please keep me updated though. I will try to help you but I'm sure I'm far away from you. Ik someone that has a koi pond out here but the koi are so large now they'd prolly find ur fish a snack. U can post on here under a thread saying ur selling them, but they aren't easy to ship but maybe I'll find someone in ur area. Do you have a Craigslist there?

I found someone who has experience with goldfish. They will be here for you soon :)

Those goldfish are beautiful and get HUGE! I know people that keep them in ponds. Your doing the right thing, I'd try and get over the guilty thing and re home them to your LFS or try the classifieds here on AA. Maybe Craigslist, or even aqua bid.

This fish need 150 gallon plus IMO to really thrive and be able to capture the beauty of them.

I'd start here on the AA classifieds you may get lucky. Someone with a pond maybe. Also. Where are you located? I can ask my buddy who owns a fish shop and is now getting all his pond accounts up and running.

There such beautiful fish I don't a problem when trying to find them a good home.

Dino

Welcome to AA!!! You have been receiving good advice so far! For now, stay on top of your water changes to keep them healthy. You actually have quite a few options to find them a happy pond home. Looking on Craigslist as well as posting an ad seeking a happy pond home are just the tip of the iceberg. California, particularly the temperate weather to the south, is quite popular for ponds. I'm on my cell but I will post some links for you tomorrow once I'm back on my computer with additional info to help you in your quest for a happy home. Please ask any questions! :)

Anyone know where I can find a stand that it low to the ground and sits on or near the floor? I know about the wrought iron double deckers, but they are perimeter supporting stands, I want one that is like a table top that supports the entire length of the tank. Thanks in advance ...

Anyone know where I can find a stand that it low to the ground and sits on or near the floor? I know about the wrought iron double deckers, but they are perimeter supporting stands, I want one that is like a table top that supports the entire length of the tank. Thanks in advance ...

Try like a Homegoods, Ikea, Target stores like that. My wife found a nice piece of stable furniture that would hold a tank. lol I sat on it in the store. It was petty funny, standing, laying and sitting on furniture. 6'2" 270 pounds lol. What a sight!!

Back
Top Bottom