awesome forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lt.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm 16y.o. and I'm probably the youngest person on this forum. Yet, I love my fishtank. It's a 20 gallon tall with a blue substrate substrate, an adjustable plastic reef, and 8 artificial plants. For fish I have 5 Australian Rainbow fish, and one sailfin plecostomas.

I started keeping a fish tank, 3 years ago when my mom came home with a goldfish from a wedding I skipped. (the fish were in little bowls and used for centerpieces on tables, then at the end of it all they made an announcement that anyone who wants a fish could take one. Needless to say there were some very unhappy parents that night) first I had the fish a one gallon circular tank with a flat front and back.
Then after an accident a few months later I got a new "big" 5 gallon tank into which I put the gold fish (he survived) and subsequently bought an albino Cory cat, 2 or 3 neons and a serpae and black phantom tetra for the tank. I know, overstocked, but ignorance is bliss since I had no idea I had too many fish at the time, but it sure looked cool. With blue gravel and a battleship in there.
Then after a year and a half I decided to step it up and dig out my dad's old 20 gal. Tall. For which he bought everything I needed to get it up and running for this past Christmas. By this past Christmas I had done a fair amount of research and knew pretty well how to take care of a tank. So I had it stocked and kept it the way is was till about a month ago, when I decided to change it up and "reboot" the tank. I did this for several reasons. I had a serious algae problem that couldn't be remedied buy chemicals or algae eaters, I was bored with the set up, (not that it wasn't cool, I just wanted something new and fresh) and my fish were starting to have health issues. And by the time I made reboot I had a pretty extensive knowledge of home aquariums. Since I ride my bike to my Local fish store once or twice a week to look at fish and talk to the workers. Plus I've spent hours, and hours doing online research.

So now I have my current set up, which I I'll figure do away with in spring and start over again. in fact, I'm already planning it. Not march or April, Alaskan spring, maybe may, probably June. And now I look forward to sharing my knowledge.

:welcome: to AA! (y)

Don't worry ... I'm certain there were / are a few 15 year olds and younger members.

Back
Top Bottom