bamboozled any advice welcome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chelle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I cycling my 28l tank with 2 guppies they have been in the tank 4 weeks tomorrow I've been doing regular partial water changes (nearly every day ) I've been testing the water daily on Friday I finally had nitrites I've never been happier to see purple lol and was reading 2.0 ammonia was 1.0 I did a water change of 20% the next day there was no trace of nitrite. I've tested again today ammonia is 0.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0
I can't understand how I only have nitrite for one day ? but I'm happy I have nitrate but why is there still ammonia ?

Bacteria eating amonnia have begun to take hold and are producing nitrites as a byproduct. Your still in the middle of your cycle. Keep up the water changes and you should be fine

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you would you recommend daily changes of 10 -20 % which is what I have been doing ? Shall I still test for nitrite
s ?

Yes.

When your tank can reduce all ammonia and nitrite to 0ppm in 24 hours with nitrate as the by product you are cycled.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ok thankyou something needs to be done about pet stores I was told set tank up for a week and put fish in !! And then weekly water changes of 20% how could any fish survive this ?? :(

Ok thankyou something needs to be done about pet stores I was told set tank up for a week and put fish in !! And then weekly water changes of 20% how could any fish survive this ?? :(

Better than some. I got told 24 hours when I started

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

It's shocking I've been so worried about my fish every morning I wake up and pray they are ok if I hadn't done my own research I would be following their advice and my fish would of probably been dead by now ?.

It's shocking I've been so worried about my fish every morning I wake up and pray they are ok if I hadn't done my own research I would be following their advice and my fish would of probably been dead by now ?.

Best thing you can do is keep reading. I've learned almost everything I know from the community on here.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yes.

When your tank can reduce all ammonia and nitrite to 0ppm in 24 hours with nitrate as the by product you are cycled.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yes agreed, and if your water gets cloudy in appearance do a larger water change.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom