Beginner - not going well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarajane

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there. Have always loved aquariums and found them very relaxing. Had the opportunity to be gifted a lovely tank - so thought we would take the plunge.

It’s all been a bit stressful. I’m worried we are bad fish keepers and are doing something really wrong. We have been to 3 local aquarium shops. Listened to expert advice, bought the necessary chemicals to make our water the best it could be.

We have a 60 litre fluval tank with heater and lights (not LED - tubes). Temp is between 75-78f

Put the right amount of chemical into the tap water. Let it stand for 2 days. Went to the aquatic supplier and bought 3 male and 3 female guppies.. introduced them slowly.

Next day tank was very cloudy. Took water to be tested. Amonia too high. Too much food. Lesson learned. Bought some filter starter and added to the tank along with the crystal clear. Also had the first hoover and quarter water change. Over night 2 guppies died. Next day 2 more. Now we only have 2 males left.

5 days later water test strip says PH 7.5 . General Hardness 60-120. Carbonate Hardness 80 . NO2 0.5 NO3 between 0/20.. This is apparently fine . So we got a little shoal of Neon Tetras. 12 of them. They are fine - no problem. 5 days later with the water still the same were advised that Corydoras (3) would be a good fit along with 2 male and 2 female Platas..

This was yesterday. We have one very sorry looking Corydoras left. The other two seem to have completely disappeared. This one looks like he has been attacked but by what ? These are the largest fish in the tank.

So after a month of fish keeping we have lost 4 guppies and then 2 Corydoras in the last 24 hrs. Please advise what we are doing wrong ? Don’t want to bring anymore fish to our tank only to die ..

Sounds like you didn’t cycle your tank...I’d stop listening to the “experts” at the fish stores and do what is called a fish in cycle since you have fish. 60 liters isn’t very big and you’ve been putting in a pretty hefty bioload. What fish are left in there? You’ll be needing to use a product like prime/ doing wcs to keep ammonia and nitrite in check as the tank cycles.

Here’s a guide https://tanksandtantrums.weebly.com/fish-in-cycle-guide.html

Beginner - not going well.

I am very grateful.

We have now got ;

12 tiny Neon Tetra
4 Platas various. (2 male 2 female)
2 Corydoras catfish (bandits)
2 of original male guppy’s.

I will read the link and follow the advice. The tank is obviously not stable and I need to concentrate on getting the water right.

Thanks again .

I'm not an expert or anything, but of all the fish you have, I've done plenty of researches on the tetras and corys. Which I hope I can help you with the following information.

But regarding to why your fish are dying, I think it is as the person stated above: you haven't cycled your tank. Not only that, your tank is heavily overstocked (with heavy poopers like guppies and which I assume, platys). The best thing you could do for now is to do 50% water changes everyday to provide the fish with clean water. And try to rehome the other fishes as best as you can, OR if you can, get another aquarium and set it up for the other fishes.

But in 60L tank (or 15G), I think the neon tetras and bandit corys would be enough. You might want to add some more corys though as they are very social, maybe have a total of 4-6 bandit corys. They'll be happier and be more active that way too. I would just like to say, but before you add more corys; please at least have a smooth substrate. Gravel should be fine as long as it isn't ragged/coarse.

With 12 neon tetras and 4-6 bandit corys in the 60L, you should be fully stocked (probably be even pushing it). But since you're a beginner, I highly advise to stock your aquarium less more than more. Once you get the hand of it, feel free to add more fish you think your aquarium can handle.

You could do an all neon tetra tank (make it 15 neon tetras but no more fish).

For getting an idea of your stocking, I suggest using AqAdvisor. It's not "accurate," but gives a good result for beginners that they can handle.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom