black mold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilben

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi all i'm new here but I have a problem with black mold. Can anyone tell me how I got this when I have a uv light in my new tank??????? thank you

thank you for the reply. I will try two pics of two rocks. A little mor info I just scrubed all the plants I could with bleach and proxiode I have a bad back so i'm done for the day but I will boil all the rocks and gravel tommor in bleach.But I don't understand how this happened when I have a 370gph outside filter with a 9watt uv light for a 50 gal tank??????? thank you

Attachments

• mold 1.jpg
    mold 1.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 64
  • mold 2.jpg
    mold 2.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 56
Hi Lilben,

Ok well I am not an expert on UV sterilizers but I will try to help you out here. From my understanding UV sterilizers do not eliminate - cyanobacteria (blue green algae), diatoms (brown algae), dinoflagellates (brown slime algae) or chlorophyta (green/hair algae) and that appears (to me) to be cyanobacteria. What is your tank setup, fish, how often do you feed, and how long do you leave lights on?

mold

here goes tank is a 50gal,filter is a sun 3 stage canister 370gph,two 200watt heaters, fish 4 mid size angles,2 small pecatumes?? 2 mid size blue grommies 2 small humphead tetras 4 small albino cats 4 mid size tiger barbs and 4 small blackskirt tetras. also 8 neon tetras I've had at least 8 different size tanks in Califorina and never had anything like this until I came to Arkansas the only thing I can think of is the two white rocks that I sent pics of the only other rocks are four lava and one fake wood branch I feed two times a day of flake food and maybe three times a week I take one flake feeding away and feed brine shrimp or worms. Thanks again for your help

Ok I would recommend going to aqadvisor.com and double check but I think you are overstocked, which would lead to higher bioload. I would recommend upping your partial water changes/vacuuming substrate and if you aren't doing so already I would reduce lighting to 6 hours a day or try a black out for a couple of days and I would also recommend reducing the amount of food given.

mold

thank you I will try doing all you posted.

Back
Top Bottom