Braand newy from south australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacqui_k_b

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone;
:fish2:
very new here, and to the salt water aquarium set up!!!!
myself and my husband have been looking into setting up an sw for age and the opportunity came up for a 6mo red sea max 130d tank, so we bought it. the guy that had it did not maintain it very well, and we have been having a few issues...
he had a green algae outbreak and phosphates throughout the tank.
we are forever trying to keep the tank clean and no bad bacterias in it. So far we have added new sand, made the sw from tap water (prob contributing to problems) and added live rock and 3x cleaning snails. the tank has over the last 5 days had an outbreak in a brown type algae all over the rocks, snails, sand, and they glass. we are doing water changes very regulary and keeping an eye on all the test results which in term seem to be ok levels. the protein skimmer is not producing much, and the filters are either too strong or too weak, so trying to find a happy medium. . .
How can we beat this brown algae, as it is ugly and we want to add some corals in the next month but are scared they will die off until this will go away. is there any substance we can add to the tank that wont be harmful to the snails to kill this off?

Welcome to AA! :welcome: I'm pretty sure that the brown algae will go away in time... But I'd wait for others to comment as well:). Hope every thing turns out okay!

Back
Top Bottom