Brown Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jigglezz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, I have a 75 gallon saltwater tank. It's been running for almost 5 months. I've been have a brown algae problem for about a month, and get get rid of it. "All" my test read back right around where they should, and I do a water change every week.
I'm running a canister filter, a UV light, protein skimmer, and a small hangon filter just for extra filtration. I also have a power head for water circulation.
I've have another saltwater tank for years but never had this problem.

BA is generally a problem in newer tanks ... a few months old. I have it all over some ornaments. It generally goes away on it's own.

See if the link below helps. Also, what is your PWC source .. as that could be the source of the nutrients (silica) diatoms use to form their shells. I use tap which is groundwater and our soil here is fairly sandy.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

Thanks... I've been that it could be from the water source. I brought a R/O system thinking that would help but it didn't. I guess I'll give it some more time.

Back
Top Bottom