Budding aquarist saying hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bargnoffle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everybody! My husband and I decided to get our first aquarium recently and boy did that escalate quickly!! We went with the Aqueon 36 bowfront which is sadly hanging out until we get all of our stuff in to set it up!

It will be a freshwater community tank running an AC 70. I'd like for it to be planted but I'm not quite ready for plant care yet! I've done tons of research (which I know is still probably not enough) and we plan on starting the fishless cycle this Saturday when all the stuff comes in. After lots of window shopping and research I came up with this fish list:
AquStockImage.php

Everything I read seemed to indicate these are all fairly easy beginner fish and should do well together. I don't plan on adding them all at once either so I have time to get used to everything.

If anybody sees anything concerning let me know! I definitely would like to know before I put any fishes in danger :fish2:

:thanks:

I was against plant for many years, i regret not getting plants sooner. Good luck on the set up, sounds good so far.

That sounds like a nice plan you have there. The Aquaclear is a great filter, and an AC 70 is a good size for that tank. Your fish selection looks good to me: just be aware that neons can be a bit delicate for their first couple of weeks. Take a good long look at the ones you plan to buy at the fish store: if they're active and eating, great. If they seem at all off or you see any dead ones, look elsewhere. And I'd advise getting only female mollies and swords for now: if you include a male, you'll inevitably get babies, and there may be aggression issues with the other fish. (Not always, but maybe)

Good luck and keep us posted how it's going! (y)

Thank you for that reply! It makes me happy to hear that's your advice because I planned that! All females for the Molly's/swordtail and I was planning on getting the neons last so that my tank and I were ready for their delicate nature!

I plan on getting a few easy plants (Amazon sword and Java moss/fern) a bit later.

Here's a picture of how it's coming along. I have grass patches and a little tree on the way and plan to add live ones soon as well.
But here are the humble beginnings :p

IMG_1476555988.905798.jpg

Thank you for that reply! It makes me happy to hear that's your advice because I planned that!

Great minds think alike. :cool: :D

I plan on getting a few easy plants (Amazon sword and Java moss/fern) a bit later.

You could get them now, if you like. Java fern and java moss are pretty and hardy, and this will give them time to get established before the fish arrive. The mollies and swordtail especially will like picking on the bits of algae that grow on them. But, if you want to wait until later, that works, too.

Here's a picture of how it's coming along. I have grass patches and a little tree on the way and plan to add live ones soon as well.
But here are the humble beginnings :p

Looks like a great start. :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom