By the Seat of My Pants lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intlgreen0929

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All!
I am a very happy aquarist who stumbled into aquarium keeping (for real this time) because my daughter sent me two African Dwarf Frogs for Christmas in one of those 1/2 gallon or less cubes this last year. I fell in love with them, and I realized after a couple of weeks, that the directions they come with, didn't make any sense. After much research and one ADF death because of the wrong directions for giving them care, as well as, purchasing from a large pet store, which resulted in two more deaths because two little ADF girls came to me sick. They then spread their illness to my original ADF who I named Curry after the Warriors basket ball team. (They look like little basketball player to me haha) But not before Curry and one female ADF could lay some egg/embryos. Since that time, about 3 months ago, I have been researching everything (which is very contradictory) to make sure these guys morphed into froglets and are healthy and happy. Out of much trial and error, I had around 50 embryos, and ended with five, count them five, healthy ADFs. At least now I know how to raise them correctly to froglets. I am an expert in this. ;) I also wrote the book on some new ways to feed them as fry. This is where I had the most losses, but figured it out after a lot of trial and error.

I also have a Betta named Clarence "T" Scout; as well as, various apple snails, a nerve snail, Japanese trapdoor snails and dwarf shrimps--Fire cherry, yellows, and blues that I have in quarantine. I am trying to cycle a 20-gallon Sea Clear acrylic tank without fish, but I think I need to purchase some ammonia to really get it started. I have added some quick start and frog bites so far, along with it being filtered, heated, lighted and planted with live plants and plant substrate. I've been having trouble trying to find another filter (I have a large sponge filter in the 20 g now) to fit the Sea Clear, since it has cut-outs that won't allow for HOB filters.

I love all of these guys as much as any other animals I have ever cared for, and I take a loss very seriously. I have a difficult time going into the chain pet stores. I think a lot of the care they give the aquatic animals is abusive. As a side note, if killing has to happen, then I want fishermen in all walks to be humane with how they kill fish, aquatic animals, etc. every animal!! . (no suffocation for any animal).

Anyway, not to focus on the negative, however, I am so grateful to have found my way back to caring for aquatic babies. I'm thinking of a way I could do it full time and earn a living while having fun. If you have any ideas I'm open to them! I already culture mosquito larva, and blood worms; I have live black worms that I have kept and I think I can raise them myself pretty easily. I'm thinking this might be a lucrative business and I wouldn't worry as much about the life-loss as I would if I was selling the fishes, ADFs and snails. Although, I would do everything to keep that from happening. Thank you for reading my little introduction. I look forward to talking to you about your passion and learning more about other creatures I haven't had the pleasure to encounter yet. ;)

Back
Top Bottom