can anyone help identifying gender of my mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lindseym

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey everyone! i’m new to this website but i’ve had fish basically my whole life, but i have some questions about my mollies if anyone could help answer them!
fyi, here’s my current tank setup:
10 (maybe 15?) gallon tank
1 pleco (not sure of specific breed)
2 dalmatian mollies
2 silver lyretail mollies
first question; so basically one of my fish had babies about a week after i bought them. i guess the pet store either didnt realize or just didn’t let me know, but i still have no idea which one it was (kinda crazy i know) but here are some pictures of the mollies and the fry since i know it wasn’t the pleco lol.
second question; can anyone let me know what the sexes of my mollies are? based on the research ive done, i think the more lightly spotted dalmatian molly is a male, while all of the others are female, but one of my silver mollies is much larger than the other, and i dont know if that indicates it might be a male? i’m not sure.
last question; if both of my silver mollies are female, why is one of them so much larger? are they just getting more food? are they pregnant? i have no idea whether they got pregnant at the pet store or in my tank either. just so many questions lol

first (bigger) silver molly:

0V9W-6R1YbTICHVfjzAOsbvYQ

09hIimxR18eJ2DFyPSLhB5ylA

0tCNcgQDlMh3Z-ZYzEVo6-8Tg

second (smaller) silver molly:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Z156Y6jIhn1TuhkX6KWzOvng
(sorry this is the only photo i could get lol)

first dalmation molly:

0mj5ZSLIgqy0jN6dXQNy6SpeA

second dalmation molly:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Wdv8dYz1E_RnN7t0BLpcFUAg

I can't see the pictures (a glitch I often get on this website) however I can tell you how to tell the genders.
Look at the anal fin (right by the tail on the bottom).
If it's rounded/fan shaped it's a female. If it's pointed/skinny it's a male.

Back
Top Bottom