Can't seem to get it right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptainMako

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone. Not necessarily new to the site in terms of accounts, but nonetheless new in terms of time spent here. Had a previous account but I lost the log in.

Came to you guys before begging for enlightenment on the ammonia cycle, and the community put up with how long it took to get into my thick skull. At that time I only had a great interest in marine biology and money to spend on a tank.

Now, a few months later. I have a 30 gallon freshwater tank with six little dalmatian mollies. I know your first tank doesn't go perfect, but geez.
I've had fungal infections, what could have been freshwater velvet, heaters melting holding clasps, filters that break down and just recently an issue with a brand new water changer.

Just wondering how everyone else's first tank went or is currently going, need some reassurance that I won't constantly run into problems.

Thanks again community, this site is a great help to beginners and intermediates alike!
Shaun

There are always hiccups here or there, but for the most part, as a tank gets more established and mature, it will really settle in to a nice routine. Weekly PWCs and some brushing of the glass is all that is required.

Yep. This is how a lot of us started, myself included. It was rocky at first, but once I learned the basics and got in to a routine, things were smooth from there. Once you get your hands wrapped around the basics of fishkeeping, you can branch out in to some of the more complicated aspects of fishkeping like reefs or high tech planted tanks. That has an initial learning period, but as most things in life, the harder you work for something, the more rewarding it is.

I think there are still some things I am shaky on though, PWC type things.

My yearning to keep the fish healthy, happy and entertained (If they even have the brain capacity to feel boredom) coupled with OCD has made me want to empty the entire tank, clean it and everything inside of it out and replace all of the water more often than necessary. I'm was doing almost every week and a half before, that was before I realized hauling gallons of water up and down stairs wasn't for me.
I know PWCs are weekly, but how often do I REALLY need to clean everything like that?

You don't really ever have to clean everything like that, and often it has more negative effects than positive. Just weekly pwc's and gravel vacs, as well as good filter maintenance is all you need.

I could remedy both of those problems if that water changer I had just bought worked.
And right now, because I am just dealing with fish and not plants, I don't have to provide any natural light? The hood light will give them what they need?
I know sunlight means algae growth, but will having my blinds open for a few hours during summer have a great effect?
I'm sorry, I should really go to the other forums about this, just the questions I have always wondered about.

Hey welcome to AA, You were smart to come back here for advice, everyone will try their best to help you :D
I was a lot like you when I first started (actually I only started a few months ago with fish, and only properly within the last month) so I'm dealing with some of the same situations, except in goldfish. Anyways has your tank been properly cycled? If you read up on the nitrogen cycle it could really help you understand this again :D Sorry I don't have the link, but I'm sure someone else has it
For cleaning, if your no longer in the cycling process, just changing 20-25% water is good, as well as the gravel vac. I find when theres algae on the glass I just scrub it off...since my goldfish and pleco will eat it anyways. Just make sure to test the water and see if everything seems alright :D
I would start a new thread under general care of freshwater fish just so you can get the most help possible, many people seem to skip over the new members forum and just go to the forum they're interested in... so you'll have lots of people who know what to do :D

A lot of good advice posted here and I know what you mean about the OCD aspect lol. IME, one thing I figured out is that sometimes less is more and wanting a pristine tank may look great, but I forget that fish don't live that way in the real world.

I redirect my need to get it just right by giving into MTS, and redecorating my established DT with new DW, rocks, etc or getting more plants :D.

I think there are still some things I am shaky on though, PWC type things.

My yearning to keep the fish healthy, happy and entertained (If they even have the brain capacity to feel boredom) coupled with OCD has made me want to empty the entire tank, clean it and everything inside of it out and replace all of the water more often than necessary. I'm was doing almost every week and a half before, that was before I realized hauling gallons of water up and down stairs wasn't for me.
I know PWCs are weekly, but how often do I REALLY need to clean everything like that?
Hi Captain,
I to have an OCD issue. I fight myself not to clean my tanks to much. In the beginning of my fish keeping (before AA) I was undoing the nitrate bacteria over and over again because I was cleaning to much.
Someone asked me what I thought the water was like in the lake and rivers that the fish live in, in nature. Which really made me think, a lot of the water out there is pretty slimy. Fish like dirty water, not toxic, but dirty. So I finally learned that sometimes doing nothing is the best thing you can do for your fish. But even after 7 years I still fight the urge to clean it out.
What has helped is that I have Mbunas and to stop territorial battles I have to rearrange the landscape of my tank every week. So even though I don't get to clean it, I still get to fuss with it.
But if things aren't going well I can understand the urge to empty it out and start again.
Don't worry to much about the little disasters. As you get more comfortable with what and how to do things, those things will diminish. Of course with any living thing, you will always have the unexpected, it's expected.

Ya, I've had my 50 g for about 2ish months...just sitting here, and it hasn't really done anything! It hasn't cycled or nothing....had to move in the middle, and I am also such a perfectionist I don't want to F*** anything up so it's almost like im waiting for someone to come out and hand me ammonia, and tell me how many drops I need to get the cycle started...BLAH! It's hard when you don't have money to help! Grrr...

Ya, I've had my 50 g for about 2ish months...just sitting here, and it hasn't really done anything! It hasn't cycled or nothing....had to move in the middle, and I am also such a perfectionist I don't want to F*** anything up so it's almost like im waiting for someone to come out and hand me ammonia, and tell me how many drops I need to get the cycle started...BLAH! It's hard when you don't have money to help! Grrr...
Don't stress Joyler :), welcome to the the poor peoples section of AA;). I'm on SSI because of a work injury:(. I get $1100.00 a mo. and I'm raising my grandson:devilish: :angel:with that money too. So I do the fish thing with little and sometimes no money. And it's been like this for 7 years. I'll help as much as I can,OK?
You said you have the 50g tank. Do you have all the extra equipment too:confused:?
How are you as far decorations, like gravel/sand and plants?
What kind of fish are you planning on? Or do you have them already?
Also ask as many questions as you want or need to, they're free (y).

Also just a tip, be really careful with the **** words. I got my fanny chewed out for it in a PM and I was using the smileys censored face instead of any letters or words. The Admin. and Moderators have very strong feelings on this subject. I was told that stars, smileys or symbols aren't allowed in place of the words nor are the words themselves allowed.

Oh oops!! I didn't know...shhh don't tell!! I was just having a bad day...I just get frustrated with my perfectionism...I want the kind of fish tank you see in books...but I have to come to terms with the fact that my first one prob won't turn out that well...my parents are very good about helping me with my tank, as I am on unemployment as well...in 11days they will be giving me a 2x36" T5-HO lamp...and I am so excited! It will be beautiful...I realize the fish tank won't happen as fast as I want...patience patience...my tank will be a community...Betta, tetras, cories, and some others...just haven't fully decided...maybe some rasborras of some sort, and some ottos...I actually have basically everything...a filter, heater two thermometers, 80 lbs of gravel...though I figured out with the plants I want, I need to get some fluorite to provide some nutrient...then need to figure out how to set up a good CO2 system for the future...hopefully I'll get a job soon so I can stop bein a whiner...I'm sorry I was complaining...I really have life pretty good...I'm just frustrated...I hope I didn't offend you or your grandchildren! It's very honorable what you are doing! Sorry again :(

Oh oops!! I didn't know...shhh don't tell!! I was just having a bad day...I just get frustrated with my perfectionism...I want the kind of fish tank you see in books...but I have to come to terms with the fact that my first one prob won't turn out that well...my parents are very good about helping me with my tank, as I am on unemployment as well...in 11days they will be giving me a 2x36" T5-HO lamp...and I am so excited! It will be beautiful...I realize the fish tank won't happen as fast as I want...patience patience...my tank will be a community...Betta, tetras, cories, and some others...just haven't fully decided...maybe some rasborras of some sort, and some ottos...I actually have basically everything...a filter, heater two thermometers, 80 lbs of gravel...though I figured out with the plants I want, I need to get some fluorite to provide some nutrient...then need to figure out how to set up a good CO2 system for the future...hopefully I'll get a job soon so I can stop bein a whiner...I'm sorry I was complaining...I really have life pretty good...I'm just frustrated...I hope I didn't offend you or your grandchildren! It's very honorable what you are doing! Sorry again :(

Again, don't stress, we all have bad days. Unemployment can cause anyone to have more bad days and to say the occasional bad word.
Patience is a virtue that is learned, it's not a natural state for human beings.
Perfection is something to aim for, it helps us all grow to be better.
Just because your tank isn't exactly want you want now, doesn't mean you can't change it later on. Get what you can afford for now. Then when you get another job you can replace what you don't like about it. Nothing is set in stone, except the rocks.
I needed Cichlid gravel but I couldn't find any at the time. So I figured I'd just put it in later, lol. So I used the old gravel that was already in it. I cycled the tank and all was going well. I stocked the tank with all the bright Mbunas and my parameters were perfect. After 8-9 mo. I finally got the right gravel and what a PITA it was to put in after everything else. I had to remove all the decorations scoop out the old gravel, put in the new, put everything back in the tank again. Then 2 days later my Nitrates were gone, 0 and the ammonia was at 0.5. I had to cycle my tank all over again.
This time with a tank full of fish. So if nothing else is what you want, make sure you at least get the gravel/sand you want.Everything else you can play around with for years, without any problems.
I've changed the background 3 times on our first 55g tank. I've changed the plants and decorations and there are things that I still want to change in it.
When I see new things I get new ideas on how I'd like to change it again. It's in constant flux. So never worry about getting it right the first time.
Over time new things come out for tanks and you want to change your tank around anyway.
I just saw Texas Holy rock for the first time and it would be really cool for Cichlids to play with. So now I want to redo my tank all over again.

Hahaha...thanks! Always nice to have someone to comfort you...ps- I hope you accepted my friend request! :)

Hahaha...thanks! Always nice to have someone to comfort you...ps- I hope you accepted my friend request! :)
Already done.
No problem we all need a little support sometimes. Next time I have a bad day, I'll hit you up for a little empathy and we'll call it even, K?

Sounds like a good idea!! Does your grandson enjoy fish too?

Casey was the reason we started the fish thing.
When he was 4 he was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, so I got a 10g tank for his room. I of coarse made all the stupid noobie mistakes. A blood lab gave me a common Pleco. They didn't know what it was and neither did I, but I took it anyway. And on the way home I grabbed a 10g tank :lach:, set it up and dropped Eddie Fisher in. How he lived through all the stupid things I did out of ignorance I don't know, but he did. When I found out what he was and how big he'd get I started saving pennies until I found a 55g with the works + Oak stand delivered and set up for 100.00.
Casey and I have been working together with the fish ever since. We both really love the fish and they have really helped with his AS. He's calmer, his nightmares are almost none existent anymore.
It has taught him to understand how someone feels without being told. Which is a huge thing for anyone with AS. Fish can't tell you if they are sick or hurt. Hungry is an easy one.
Casey helps with all the PWCing and with the water testing. He's only 10 but he knows about cycling and good and bad bacteria. He's a huge help, I wouldn't be able to take care of 4 tanks without him.
So I'd have to say, Yes, he does enjoy the fish too.

That's right!! I remember...I think I is so awesome that you two have something to share with eachother....I love my grandparents almost more than anything...we have antiques and garage sales that we love, and it is such a blessing being so close to them...I'm the oldest grandchild so I have a very special place in their heart :) we really have a blast tigether

That's right!! I remember...I think I is so awesome that you two have something to share with eachother....I love my grandparents almost more than anything...we have antiques and garage sales that we love, and it is such a blessing being so close to them...I'm the oldest grandchild so I have a very special place in their heart :) we really have a blast tigether

I was very close to my grandparents for many years. My grandfather was born in 1899 and as such was raised with a old school way of thinking where women are concerned. Then he was blessed with nothing but granddaughters. So he passed along all he knew about how to fix things around the house and how to use tools and basic car maintenance. Things he would have taught grandsons if he'd had any. Because of that I was able to not only be self sufficient, but I was able help other single mom's I knew learn to do the same. He passed away in 1982, but I know he knows how much he did for me and what it meant to me.
I was also very close to my grandma. She was the one that taught me about love and sacrifice for your family. Without her I wouldn't have known how to be the kind of grandma that my grandson would want to have a hobby with. I basically owe all that is good in me to them.
I lost my grandma April 12,1998. Twelve years for my Grandma and nearly 20 for grandpa and I miss them every single day and will even when I'm 90.
:cool:It's nice to hear when that kind of relationship is still important to someone these days. You hear about the opposite so often.

Back
Top Bottom