Central Oregon where it is dry and cold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aspencer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

I teach computers and computer applications to all freshmen in the high school that I work. I also teach accounting and personal finance.

I just started a tank in my room. It is just a 10 gallon with pea size smooth natural color gravel bottom. I set it up on Saturday, let the tank sit until Monday afternoon, and went to the only fish store for 50 miles. I bought 2 female pregnant Swordfishs and one male. They are pink, almost see through.

I have one small plant which makes the tank wide open.

Water temperature around 76.

It is fun starting a new tank. I don't have room for a second tank. Oh, I have a sink in my room so the fish tank is next to it, in a nice corner. That is really convenient.

Welcome! This hobby can be very rewarding, but I strongly suggest you read the link in my signature (if its there) or look up the" fishless cycling for dummies" thread in the search box. You may want to consider taking the fish back to the store, and your first lesson in fish keeping (this is awkward to tell a teacher lol, especially since I'm still a student!) is to stop listening to the pet store advice. Do research here, buy there, and nothing more. They just want your $. Happy to have you! You learn quickly on this site!

Welcome to AA from a fellow Oregonian.
Homedog (Lauren) may be a student but she is a very bright student.
She also knows what she's talking about when it comes to not listening to the FS sales people. They will kill all your fish and sell you some more before your ready for them.
If returning the fish isn't an option, then you need to find someone with an established tank. Have them keep your new fish until your tank really is ready to house fish. Especially a pregnant fish.
The ammonia and nitrite levels that you are going to be getting during the cycling of your tank will kill most fish. Let alone the any babies.
But you are definitely on the right site to get all of the new things you'll need to know

Aspencer said:
Hello,

I teach computers and computer applications to all freshmen in the high school that I work. I also teach accounting and personal finance.

I just started a tank in my room. It is just a 10 gallon with pea size smooth natural color gravel bottom. I set it up on Saturday, let the tank sit until Monday afternoon, and went to the only fish store for 50 miles. I bought 2 female pregnant Swordfishs and one male. They are pink, almost see through.

I have one small plant which makes the tank wide open.

Water temperature around 76.

It is fun starting a new tank. I don't have room for a second tank. Oh, I have a sink in my room so the fish tank is next to it, in a nice corner. That is really convenient.

Welcome aboard!

Cycling a tank is an important aspect and the fact that you already have fish just requires a bit more diligence on your part (or your students :)), but it can be done. Below is a link that can help you out and make sure the fish are well cared for.
Centeral OR, as in Bend, Sisters, Mt. Bachelor? Eugene was my old stompin' grounds :).

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page1.html

Good luck and there's lots of help here to get you over this first bump.

Hey welcome to AA :D You'll learn tons on here, feel free to ask any questions you may have, As you can tell, people on here know there stuff, and would love to help teach you about how to properly cycle a tank... I joined maybe a month ago and have learned so much, my fish are so much healthier and happier now and everything is turning out smoothly, if it werent for AA I think a lot of us would just have some dying sick fish :(
gl on your new adventures :D Trust me, if you really get into this hobby, you'll FIND more room for larger tanks... I only had room for a 10 gallon in my room. I went through everything in my room, threw away all the junk, moved things around and fit a 20 gal and 50 gal in there now too :D haha

Back
Top Bottom