College kid!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glover

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there! My name's Glover :)
I'm from California, currently attending CSULA! Go Eagles!

Fairly new to the aquarium world, just recently started my first tank early summer. The aquarium is a 10 gallon tank, moderately planted, and stocked with 6 Pristella Tetras. I've been doing tons of research and I still have a lot more to learn! Any assistance in that would be great!

--Glover

Okay so to start off, love to hear that your just getting started with the hobby! It's a great one! Now to the best of my knowledge all tetras are schooling! So 6 would be fine for a 10 gal tank! Most tetras also live to swim in and around plants so having some plants is good. Also I HIGHLY recommend live plants. It can get expensive with the right bulbs, plant food and substrate. But it Definelty will help ya! Also, it would probably be a good choice to maybe get a Pleco or some other sort of algae eater. They keep the algae down and your glass shiny clean! If you do get some pleco or other algae eater, feed them green veggies or algae wafers. Other than that make sure your heater and filter are running smooth. :)

Thank you!

Here's more statistics on the tank:
I run 2 x 10W bulbs (6500K) on the tank, dose Flourish Excel once a week, and I have a 3 inches of aquarium gravel. Water changes are about 25% a week (is that good?) with Prime. I am running an AquaClear 20 and the temperature of the tank is a constant 78.

I don't plan on adding anymore fish, but I'd love some type of shrimp. Are there any easy to care shirmps that are compatible with my stock?

Am I doing everything right? Is all the equipment I'm using okay?

--Glover

Thank you!

Here's more statistics on the tank:
I run 2 x 10W bulbs (6500K) on the tank, dose Flourish Excel once a week, and I have a 3 inches of aquarium gravel. Water changes are about 25% a week (is that good?) with Prime. I am running an AquaClear 20 and the temperature of the tank is a constant 78.

I don't plan on adding anymore fish, but I'd love some type of shrimp. Are there any easy to care shirmps that are compatible with my stock?

Am I doing everything right? Is all the equipment I'm using okay?

--Glover

You could try cherry shrimp though the tetras might eat the baby shrimp. You could also try the larger amano/algae eating shrimp. Both cost $1-3 each depending on size and quality.

Thank you for such the quick reply!
I really like how both of the shrimps look. I'll see what my local pet store offers. :)

Back
Top Bottom