College student new to aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leilei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, I have recently discovered my first hobby - aquariums! A couple of weeks ago I decided to set up my first aquarium: a saltwater nano in a Fluval Edge 6 gal. Right now it's just got live rock, sand, and a CUC but it's still very interesting to watch.

In the beginning I was confused that my tank wasn't cycling when I had put the LR and sand in. I have a really great (if pricy) LFS nearby and so was able to get fully cured LR from them with ~5 min of transport underwater so that it was basically straight from their tank to mine. It seemed like my tank was "instantly" cycled so I only waited a week to add CUC. No problems so far, but I wonder if other people have had this experience.

Anyway, I've been testing water conditions ever day and have been getting 0 nitrites and <20 nitrates, so if nothing else changes I plan on getting some fish soon. Still deciding which fish to get...

I have no experience with saltwater but if you are new to aquariums in general, I don't think starting a nano saltwater tank is the best idea.

Smaller aquariums, with their smaller quantity of water are subject to parameters changing easily. This is regardless of saltwater, fresh, or anywhere in between. They require a pretty decent amount of due diligence on the part of the owner. If you are up to this then go right ahead!

Yes, I have read that smaller aquariums are more difficult to keep, but I am up to that challenge. I actually love checking water parameters and will probably be paying close attention to the tank whenever I have free time during the school year. Also, there's no way I can keep a larger aquarium in a college dorm. Our rooms are just too small and moving a >30 gal ever vacation when the dorms close would put a huge strain on my life and my friends' lives.

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA. :welcome:

Thanks! Haha, the way you say it reminds me of AA = alcoholics anonymous. I guess once an aquarist, always an aquarist.

leilei said:
Thanks! Haha, the way you say it reminds me of AA = alcoholics anonymous. I guess once an aquarist, always an aquarist.

This place might as well be named aquarist anonymous :)

Glad you're up to the task! Unfortunately, beyond warning you of the dangers of small aquariums, I can't much help in saltwater. Look me up of you need anything about fresh though! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom