Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul crinnion

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just set up a new cold water tank and have not fully cycled it properly so the water is a bit clouded. Think did not leave the tank and pumps running long enough.Problem is I've now got a couple of fish in. Is there anything I can do or add to speed up the process and balance the water without affecting the fish? Any advise appreciated, especially if an easy quick fix

Thanks very much, a good and advicefull link. I was also glad to wake up to a much improved tank with much less cloud in water.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Your Tank

I have just set up a new cold water tank and have not fully cycled it properly so the water is a bit clouded. Think did not leave the tank and pumps running long enough.Problem is I've now got a couple of fish in. Is there anything I can do or add to speed up the process and balance the water without affecting the fish? Any advise appreciated, especially if an easy quick fix

Hello paul...

This is a simple thing. You're cycling your tank with fish. This way is very efficient. Cold water however, presents a challenge. You'll need to use cold water fish. Danios come to mind. Very hardy and will easily tolerate the changes in water conditions associated with the nitrogen cycle.

You need to test the tank water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test, remove and replace 25 percent of the tank water with treated tap water. Feed the fish sparingly. At roughly 30 days, you'll have several daily tests with no traces of the above forms of nitrogen. The tank is cycled.

Add a cold water floating plant to the tank. Hornwort is a good one. It's a natural water filter and will help maintain somewhat better water conditions.

B

Thanks for your tips. I'll definitely take them on board and see if I can get the specific plant mentioned plus a few others. No plants in yet as was getting them tomo. Think will also look out for the fish you mentioned. My wee lad is desperate to get a few more fish but I've been trying to delay adding more just yet. All part of the fun!
Cheers p

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom