Cycling new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maggiea218

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new to the aquarium world and I'm (trying) to cycle a 10 gallon tank. I think I'm having trouble but then again I am new and a bit clueless :) I started the tank about a week ago and I'm doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia. I got the ammonia up to 4ppm and it's been a week and two days and no change in ammonia, if anything it went up. I did a partial water change because I thought maybe I added too much. It went down to 2 ppm and I think it's going back up to 4! I tested for nitrites and nitrates just to be sure and they moved a tiny bit but not very much. If someone could help me through this I would greatly appreciate it! I know a little about fishless cycling but clearly not enough!

Welcome to the forums and the hobby! :D

With a fishless cycle it can take a bit to get started but will go fast once it does. Seeing a nitrite spike is a good thing and its even better that you are seeing nitrates as well.

Have you increased the temperature of the tank at all? The BB will grow fastest at about 85 degrees.

What are you using to test your water?

I have the water at about 80 degrees now only because I have a heater that sets at about that temp. And can't change it. I'm using the API master test kit to test my water. I just tested again today and its back at 4ppm.

I have the water at about 80 degrees now only because I have a heater that sets at about that temp. And can't change it. I'm using the API master test kit to test my water. I just tested again today and its back at 4ppm.

:welcome:

It will take weeks till it gets started good. Just keep checking the ammonia till you notice a drop. Just hang in there because it's going to be a long ride

Back
Top Bottom