DO i Need a Filter for my fish tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fontanaboy909ca

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay so yes i have a filter, its for 20 gallons though, and i just bought it before i switched to a 50 gallon. Well im starting a saltwater tank and yes i know EVerything about them. But i also need a protein skimmer. cant i just use the 20 filter and buy a protein skimmer for it

thanks. and im new to this site.

Hello! Welcome to AA! I don't know much about saltwater (freshwater guy myself), but I wouldn't recommend putting a 20 gallon filter in a 50 gallon tank. It is likely to overload your filter system, be less effective, and leave you with a broken filter which requires replacement immediately. You may be able to use the filter material successfully to seed your new tank, though!

43Gallons said:
Hello! Welcome to AA! I don't know much about saltwater (freshwater guy myself), but I wouldn't recommend putting a 20 gallon filter in a 50 gallon tank. It is likely to overload your filter system, be less effective, and leave you with a broken filter which requires replacement immediately. You may be able to use the filter material successfully to seed your new tank, though!

Absolutely right! You can not have enough filtration. For my 55 gallon I am running an Aquaclear 50 and 70. Use wha you have to seed your tank. Look in my signature for an awesome guide to fishless cycling. Welcome to AA and if you have any questions along the way, just give us a shout

Wayne

I've even used a 2-10 gallon filter to seed my 55g tank, but never use anything that small as a filter.
I used 2 HOB Marineland H.O.T Magnum Canister filters on my Mbuna tank the each filter 250 gph.
Like Deckape said you can never have to much filtration.

Welcome Aboard!

Is this a SW setup?

You have this question posted twice which is frowned upon. If it is SW, I'd suggest asking a moderator to combine these two threads and post in a SW forum (getting started?).

But in an attempt to answer your question, either way (FW or SW) you'll need more filtration geared for a 55g.

Back
Top Bottom