Doubting Newbie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wingman-Goose

Aquarium Advice Activist
New to the site and wanted to see if anyone else had the same problems as I have had.

I set up a 180 litre tank which has been set up for about 5-6 months. In this time I have lost 14-15 fish but many of these losses can be explained but some cannot.

On several occasions I have lost which have gone from colourful and active to gone in a couple of days.

On numerous occasions this has made me want to stop this hobby and was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems? Or could explain why this happens to some and not to others?

Welcome to the site! We have all lost fish and it can certainly be frustrating. How is your tank right now? What do you have in it?

Welcome! :welcome: sorry to hear about your loses:( did you cycle your tank? If you didn't that's probably why... Do you have fish in it and if so how many and what type?

Thanks, The tank is currently okay but being prepared for a move to a new house.

At the moment it has 9 Cardinal tetras, 2 Goldens Rams ( was 3 until this afternoon ), 2 Dalmation Mollies, 2 Discus, 4 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 3 SAE, 2 Sterbai Corydoras, 2 Peppered Corydoras, 2 Orange Spot Plecs.

I also have about 30 Molly fry that I will be looking for new homes for as the Mollies don't seem to stop breeding.

The discus are very small at the moment and will be moved to a bigger tank with more discus once the the house move has been completed.

Wingman-Goose said:
Thanks, The tank is currently okay but being prepared for a move to a new house.

At the moment it has 9 Cardinal tetras, 2 Goldens Rams ( was 3 until this afternoon ), 2 Dalmation Mollies, 2 Discus, 4 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 3 SAE, 2 Sterbai Corydoras, 2 Peppered Corydoras, 2 Orange Spot Plecs.

I also have about 30 Molly fry that I will be looking for new homes for as the Mollies don't seem to stop breeding.

The discus are very small at the moment and will be moved to a bigger tank with more discus once the the house move has been completed.

Was it cycled? Also the cories and the tetras need about 6 of each because they are schooling fish.

Thanks Aquakia, the tank was not fishless cycled as I had some bad advice but 2 Mollies and 3 Corys were placed in and no more until the parameters had settled correctly. Only one Cory died in this cycling period and only one of the Mollies died alot later but this was because bullying over a female Molly.

The Cories are to be incereased once the house move is complete also. Unfortunately, I bought 4 different kinds of Corys all in 3s and lost 3 Pandas and 3 Julli. This was again bad advice as I did not learn until afterwards that they should be in 6s of the same kind until I already had the others.

I suppose it is a lesson learnt.

No I have 4 peppered cories and am getting more once my 55 gallon is set up. I haven't lost any

I have lost a lot of fish since I started the hobby. Honestly, I think the most common reason for my fish losses has been the purchase of fish from chain stores. I live in a small town with limited fish buying options.
Now, I have found a lfs that is pretty good and I rarely have deaths in the fish from there. My petco fish tend to drop dead at random times.

Thanks, not sure if it is the shop I get them from as they are usually quite good. Will hopefully be able to set up a quarintine / fry tank when I move house.

Just confusing when fish die without any obvious reason!

I;m guessing that it was a bad stocking at the store. I know that sometimes the fish stores can get their fish from some really bad places that interbreed their fish and get weak ones that in a show tank can get very very fragile and die easily.

Hi everyone! I am a new member on this site. I am here to meet new people and make friends. Hope I can meet someone here. And I'm willing to share any ideas of any kind of topic.

Back
Top Bottom