Dragon Fish dying or playing dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lisalynn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anyone know anything about dragon fish? i bough one from walmart 5-6 years ago I have him(or her?) in a 55 gal freshwater tank and last night I found him floating vertically and I thought he was dead but when i touch him he swims away, is he dying or playing?

Are you talking about an Arowana fish or saltwater Dragon fish?
Here is my Arowana after it out grew my 55 g tank. I call him Arnald...the terminator. lol
img_1123651_0_dcb9edb2c9eea90658c68f49cd84135f.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome! If it's from Walmart, I'm guessing it's a dragon goby. That's about all the help I can be. Sorry.

And if it's a dragon goby then it's a brackish water fish. Btw cool arowanna tc. Are those cichlids in that pond?

And if it's a dragon goby then it's a brackish water fish. Btw cool arowanna tc. Are those cichlids in that pond?
Yes, they are. it's a real mix of cichlids from as far back as 20 years ago.
The arowana is over three feet long in that picture.

I don't want to hijack this thread so OP can you give us more info on your fish?

Here is some care info on your goby. He needs brackish water. Caring for your new dragon goby, Gobioides brousonetti, with pictures.

Could be ammonia poisoning ... what are your levels?

the Dragon goby is very sensitive to ammonia. Even at low levels it will begin to gasp for air at the surface, and if the ammoniais not quickly diluted, the Dragon goby will die. If you provide your Dragon goby with favorable conditions, it can live for 10 years or more.

courtesy of Dragon Goby

Oh and welcome to AA :) Nice arowana tc one of my many dream fish :D

It was sliver and changed color when I put him into my pond. Then he lost the silver color and took on the color in the photo.
I have a couple of stories about that arowana, but I'll start a new thread later today.

Back
Top Bottom