Eagle Scout Project Ideas??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lightupthedarkness30

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,
Recently got into saltwater aquariums and I was wondering if I could incorporate this hobby into an Eagle Project. I've heard great things about you guys and was wondering if you had any ideas on how to do this. Thanks for any and all help and suggestions!
-Jake

Hi and welcome;)

So, are you thinking maybe along the lines of helping sick fish? You could buy sick fish you see and nurse them back to health!

Or, with many fish being taken from the ocean, you could try your hand at breeding fish! You could do clowns, or maybe Bangaii Cardinals. Bangaii's are in particular trouble and arent to hard to breed i think. I could definitly see you getting recognition for this task. Breeding sw fish especially is a daunting task, and you'd be helping out the enviroment as well!;)

Just my ideas!

My cuz built a box for his church for spotrts equipment to donate what if you did that with a fish tank or maybe donate it to a hospital?

I wasn't a scout as a kid. Maybe if you could elaborate on what this project should entail, we would be able to give more specific advice.

i like gboys idea. you could also find a person who has a badly taken care of tank and get the fish back to good health,the ammmonia etc down,etc

@aqua_chem
An eagle project is a project that benefits the community. It can be small and simple or big and elaborate. All it really has to include is service, and a way for me to show leadership. I've known people who do service projects at nature centers, people clear trails, build ample theaters, have fund raisers(toys for toasts/ can foods), the possibilities are pretty much endless. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Both of my boys are Eagle Scouts. Their projects benefited a conservacy and a community Fair. But if you are looking to do something related to your hobby, one of our scouts built a beautiful pond at a senior community. Another built a pergola at a senior center..but I always thought it would be really cool to set up a large fish tank at our local senior center. My mother had alzheimers and it was very difficult to keep her attention or get her to just relax (TV was not an option, she couldn't concentrate enough to watch).
The 20 gallon that I put at the side of her bed however, was such a blessing. She would lay in bed and watch her fish. I did a lot of water changes because she would forget and feed them too often, but she loved her fish. So I always thought a nice tank at our local senior center could benefit so many people! Good luck :)

Both of my boys are Eagle Scouts. Their projects benefited a conservacy and a community Fair. But if you are looking to do something related to your hobby, one of our scouts built a beautiful pond at a senior community. Another built a pergola at a senior center..but I always thought it would be really cool to set up a large fish tank at our local senior center. My mother had alzheimers and it was very difficult to keep her attention or get her to just relax (TV was not an option, she couldn't concentrate enough to watch).
The 20 gallon that I put at the side of her bed however, was such a blessing. She would lay in bed and watch her fish. I did a lot of water changes because she would forget and feed them too often, but she loved her fish. So I always thought a nice tank at our local senior center could benefit so many people! Good luck :)
@bonibelle
I actually thought about tht one, but the only problem I'm seeing is having someone maintain it. Would it be one of the workers there? And also I think a saltwater tank would be harder to maintain then a freshwater setup, although we all know saltwater setups look cooler, haha

No, saltwater wouldn't work..but as a part of your project, you would teach members of the Senior Center to care for the freshwater tank and the fish. So as you plan the project, considerations might be that the tank be placed a certain distance from a water source so they could possibly use a python to clean out the tank. I imagine that you could do a video or a write a procedure for the care and possibly even offer to check in to see that things are going well. Think about making a connection between the people at the senior center and local fish stores that would be willing to help with tank care..there are endless possibilities, but your mission is to facilitate the connections that make it all work. I think this would be an awesome project..and I know first hand that it would be appreciated even by folks that have forgotten how to enjoy the very basic things in life. :)

No, saltwater wouldn't work..but as a part of your project, you would teach members of the Senior Center to care for the freshwater tank and the fish. So as you plan the project, considerations might be that the tank be placed a certain distance from a water source so they could possibly use a python to clean out the tank. I imagine that you could do a video or a write a procedure for the care and possibly even offer to check in to see that things are going well. Think about making a connection between the people at the senior center and local fish stores that would be willing to help with tank care..there are endless possibilities, but your mission is to facilitate the connections that make it all work. I think this would be an awesome project..and I know first hand that it would be appreciated even by folks that have forgotten how to enjoy the very basic things in life. :)
Thanks so much! I really like that idea. I'm going contact the senior center nearby and start making up a plan. Right now I'm thinking a 125-250g tank? Depends on what I can get hands on. As far as fish I was thinking cichlids? I can get a lot of stuff donated and I was thinking about organizing a fundraiser with my troop for cash.

I'm excited for you!! Be sure to do the steps in the right order to get your project approved..If you have questions about details, you have a wealth of resources right here on this forum. When you approach the Senior center be ready to answer questions that they may have..like about how difficult it would be to maintain and how much it would weigh when it is full. The more that you know about your project, the better chance that you will have getting it accepted right away! You need to be the expert essentially selling your idea. Research a little about how fish tanks are calming and how they help people relax. It could be a center piece of the center..Keep us posted on your progress..

Ps. Chichlids are pretty brutal in some cases, and im not sure how the seniors would lile them...angels, discus, tetras, and cories in a planted tank are how i'd plan the most peaceful and relaxing tank possible

I agree, you are looking to make a beautiful tank with community fish. I'll bet you will have folks remembering tanks that they had, if you include some of the old favorites..which are also the easiest ones! There will be pleanty of hard parts to your project..Eagle projects are never as simple or easy as non -scout people think..The fun part will be adding the fish and watching the tank come to life..congratulations on taking this on :)

Back
Top Bottom