Excited about my new tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rccola

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My husband and I decided to get an aquarium for our anniversary. I had them growing up and remember a lot, but we got a 45 gallon and it's much bigger than I have ever owned. Im here because I am hoping to learn from all of the experiences thatyou all have here. Plus I think i already have a sick fish :( and she's only been in the tank for 1 day. I am excited to start adding more fish... and I would love to make sure I get compatable ones.

It wasset up for 4 daysbefore we added 4 fish to a 45 gallon tank. All the others are doing great.

A new tank needs to be set up a long time before adding fish. Maybe 2 weeks or more. It needs to build up bacteria that convert ammonia into less harmful substances. You may want to get a test kit that tests for ammonia nitrate and nitrite.

You may want to return your fish if you are able too and let the cycle get started.

You need to do daily water changes to keep the water relatively safe for the fish.

I don't have all the answers for getting the cycle going I made the same mistake when I started my tank.

Just google nitrogen cycle for aquariums, and google fish in cycle since you already have fish.

Hey don't get frustrated. I did the same thing because no one informed me and I learned the hard way too. I bought an aquarium years ago and had no idea what I was doing. I did not do water changes or anything. Everything slowly died off. If you have any specific questions let me know. If I can't answer it I will help you research it.

Hello rc...

Did you remember the "nitrogen cycle"? If not, I hope your fish is one of the extremely hardy varieties.

B

Much better, she has a bacterial gill infection...all of them from the store had it...so she is quarantined. ..all the others are fine, and my water quality was perfect. I am aware of the nitrogen cycle, and I added bacteria when I did my start up.

Thanks!

Much better, she has a bacterial gill infection...all of them from the store had it...so she is quarantined. ..all the others are fine, and my water quality was perfect. I am aware of the nitrogen cycle, and I added bacteria when I did my start up.

Thanks!

Glad to hear it. I don't trust those bacteria starters that much. They give it a boost maybe. Anyway I hope everything goes well for here on out.

Back
Top Bottom