fairly new to bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dancersmama79

Aquarium Advice Freak

HI im making my 3rd attempt to raise a betta.I have a red male veil tail in a 1 gallon tank with a carbon internal filter and a fake plant and stones in the bottom. I do complete water changes twice a week. and feed him twice a day. Hes healthy and has shown no sign of sickness until yesterday he has a prominent white spot on the top of his head. Hes not acting any differently than normal hes eating normal and there arent any other spots or tiny spots just the one on the top of his head. i changed his water yesterday but dont know what else to do for him... any suggestions??

I'm not sure what the spot on his head is... Can you post pictures?
Also, he needs a five gallon tank. What are the parameters and temp of his current set up?

Bettababe1011 said:
I'm not sure what the spot on his head is... Can you post pictures?
Also, he needs a five gallon tank. What are the parameters and temp of his current set up?

I would argue the fact that a betta NEEDS a five gallon tank as ive raised many to three years of age in one gallon bowls when i was younger, but yes, 5 gallons w/filtration and heater is the ideal setup providing optimal conditions, longer lifespan and minimal stress for a betta which causes things like this to happen.

A picture would be helpful. Sounds like some kind of fungus

his temp is at 76-78 and i dont have a test kit for his water as i dont have the money for it right now...

Attachments

• 100_0543.jpg
    100_0543.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 100_0545.jpg
    100_0545.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 120
Okay. I can't tell what it is. Is it like the scales turned discolored, or is it kind of fuzzy looking?

If it seemed to lessen it, try daily water changes and keep an eye on him. See if that helps him improve.

Try 50% water changes. I'm not sure what caused it, but the water change seemed to improve it, right?

It's kind of hard to cycle a 1 gallon tank. If there's a filter in there it may eventually cycle, but will take a really long time. While he is sick, yes I would do 100 % water changes every day. This will remove any trace of toxins, and should be easy to do since its only 1 gallon. Just pour him into a bowl , pour the water out, and put new water in that has been treated with dechlorinator.

For a healthy betta in this size tank, I would do a 100 % water change every 2-3 days.

Back
Top Bottom