Fairly new - will be looking for lots of advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CathMcD

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, finally decided to register somewhere. I live in Ontario, Canada, married 26 years and mother of 3, and run a "zoo" of sorts. Our current list of pets living here include 3 horses 2 quarter horses/1 tennesee walker), 2 dogs (rough collie and alaskan malamute (recently rescued)), 7 cats (5 recently rescued), 18 hamsters/3 mice/3 gerbils (daughter loves rodents), and the 10 fish in the 32 gallon community freshwater (6 harlequin rasboras, 2 SAEs, 1 betta, and 1 recently adopted 8" pleco.

Just received a 56 gallon, "Marineland" aquarium as a birthday present and just can't decide what direction to go with it so will be asking lots of questions! Been scouring the internet for stocking ideas and so on and a lot of the time my search for answers led me to this site.

Looking forward to meeting all of you and learning lots! Thanks!

CathMcD

Welcome Cath.
A blank canvas is great but it is hard to decide where to go with it.
I test the source water (normally tap) to check the natural parameters - Ph, Kh, Gh, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. This can give a guide as to the type of fish - Gh probably being the deciding factor.
Then decide on small shoaling fish or larger show fish.
Small fish appreciate good a planting which can look fab. Larger fish can be destructive.
Look at the pictures of tanks on the net and see if you are inspired. It's hard to change course mid build, just causes extra work so taking your time to plan is well worth it.
Good luck with your tank. I settled for heavily planted, small tetras and Red Cherry Shrimp and am pleased with the outcome.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420194378.576816.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your tank looks amazing! I'm toying with trying out a planted tank. Here's a pic of my 32 gallon freshwater community with it's loving admirers keeping a close eye...

Attachments

• 20141215_181919.jpg
    20141215_181919.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 34
Your tank looks amazing! I'm toying with trying out a planted tank. Here's a pic of my 32 gallon freshwater community with it's loving admirers keeping a close eye...

That tank would look lovely planted Cath. Get some low light plants and some driftwood in there for the natural look. Your fish will appreciate it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom