Father and Son Noobs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cactusbbq

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,

My name is Dino and me and my son Foxx are attempting our first tank. Freshwater tropical. I have tried before by myself and have failed terribly. Since those times we have managed to keep a turtle alive and happy and the dog is still with us. LOL

Right now we have a 30 gallon tank about 2 or 3 inches of gravel, running an Aqueon 50 filter and a standard light. I have a question on fish but suspect it would go somewhere else. So have a good day everyone.

Thanks for the link. We went with what the LFS said to do and let it run for a week and we added prime (?) to it as advised and brought the water in for a test and they said we were good to. I have a good store 5 minutes from my place so I will have some help along the way.

As most of us have experienced when first starting out, you have received HORRIBLE advice from your lfs about what cycling entails. If you go by their method, your fish will die. Please do read the links about how to cycle (which takes 4-6 weeks) prior to adding fish. :)

WOOPS.
I already added fish after a week, when the water checked out. A red tail shark and 4 cory catfish (2 panda & 2 Jolie)

Hi, and welcome to AA! :welcome: We are glad to have you as new memebers of the forum. As a relative newbie myself, I am here to tell you that advice you receive from lfs's is nearly always flawed. Please, please take the time to read those articles that Linda gave you the link to. I personally, have lost fish due to advice given by lfs. They are there to sell fish, after all, and so their advice is flawed to begin with. Cycling is so VERY IMPORTANT to the lives of your pets. It will save lives!

If you do this one little thing, you will have a joyful and wonderful time with your new pets and your new hobby, and you are now a member of a wonderful, and very helpful forum, where you can obtain all kinds of help and advice. :dance::dance:

Remember the best advice anyone can give you is take what the LFS says come home and research. When I am at them and they say "well you can" that means ok research time. I have salt and fresh probably saved myself $1000's on research instead of going on what the LFS told me. Unless you started with used filter medium your tank isn't cycled at one week.

Then, as soon as possible, you need to go and get an API Master liquid test kit, and read the link for cycling with fish in ( on that link that Linda gave you).:fish2: Do it for your new fish....soon

Thanks all I appreciate the help and advice. I will do some extra reading to night.

Arrgg. I will do all the reading. I have been researching. Figured the stuff they gave me is what cycled the tank. I will get the water testing kit as advised. Lay off the shark though. I know he will need a larger tank, Next summer I move the turtle from the 55 gallon to a 90. Then everyone in the 30 to the 55.

What would I be looking for with the water test that the LFS didnt show me? He showed me the test info and it was all in the safe range? My son did want to use the turtle cave from when the turtle was using it. That did have some algae on it. Would that have helped it along.

Fish are doing fine.

If the lfs readings were in the "safe" range, that tells me they were using strips? Strip tests are inaccurate, and that's being kind.

You'd be really surprised to see how many lfs staff have absolutely no clue about how to start and maintain a healthy tank. It boggles the mind.

What "stuff" did he give you to cycle the tank?

Well, I guess it's a darn good thing you found us, isn't it because, I'm sorry, but you have to fire your lfs..... :lol:

Hello Red Sea.

I have ordered my water test kit. API Master Freshwater one. Going to start testing once it arrives. Went to the LFS last night with my son and wanted to get our water tested. The manager of all people dips a strip in it for like 2 seconds and says "looks good to me you can get more fish". I asked well what did the numbers look like I woulld like to know? His response was "zero".

So kit is on the way and I will be get to work. It is a high dollar fish store that this happened in also. So I am still reading and getting more prepared. Good thing is I have good equipment and we are not giving up. Any advice anyone wants to give will be appreciated.

Hello Red Sea.

I have ordered my water test kit. API Master Freshwater one. Going to start testing once it arrives. Went to the LFS last night with my son and wanted to get our water tested. The manager of all people dips a strip in it for like 2 seconds and says "looks good to me you can get more fish". I asked well what did the numbers look like I woulld like to know? His response was "zero".

So kit is on the way and I will be get to work. It is a high dollar fish store that this happened in also. So I am still reading and getting more prepared. Good thing is I have good equipment and we are not giving up. Any advice anyone wants to give will be appreciated.

Hmm, that is not exactly the way those work, LOL. First some of the tests, you normally have to wait about 30 seconds (at least the ones I have done). Everything shouldn't be zero, like your pH. But maybe all of your nitrates and nitrites were zero, hmmm, I guess we will see when you get your kit in!:)

Back
Top Bottom