Finally have an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What are your thoughts for an algae eager? I don't have any signs of algae yet, but...

Hi!
Did you read the link? How did you cycle and what are your parameters (numbers)? Did you fishless cycle with ammonia before adding your fish? I'm just a little concerned you don't fully understand.

Unfortunately I didn't know the importance of ammonia before I started to add fish. I have tested my water weekly. I just did a water change and will test again. Based on the article I could have some work ahead of me. Thank you.

jstp18 said:
Unfortunately I didn't know the importance of ammonia before I started to add fish. I have tested my water weekly. I just did a water change and will test again. Based on the article I could have some work ahead of me. Thank you.

Any more questions don't be afraid to ask!
You will need to test EVERYDAY and do a water change if the ammonia or nitrite are 0.25ppm or more. Do you have a dechlorinator ?

Edit- Don't add anymore fish until the tank is cycled.

Good news is so far, so good. No elevated ammonia or nitrate. I will test every day

Nitrite not nitrate. Those are two different thing. You have to test for all three ammo will show up first followed by nitrites and then nitrates. When you only get nitrates coming up that's mean you are totally cycled so 0 ammo, 0 nitrites and __nitrates.

Since you tank has been set up for a few weeks it could be passed the ammo stage so I'd get testing nitrites right away and everything else

As of tonight's test, ammonia, nitrate, and nitrate are @ 0 ppm. Thanks for the clarification and help!

Back
Top Bottom