First Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JHaddock

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys, I set up my very first aquarium about two weeks ago, the pet store owners recommended a 28 litre aquarium (which I now know was probably not a good idea) and after a week sold me a Danio to place in it, he's been in there for four days now and seemed to be getting on very well. I did a 30% water change this morning and this afternoon he is on his side in the bottom corner of my tank, I did an ammonia test and found no traces of ammonia, the temperatures fine and the PH hasn't fluctuated.

I turned out the lights and have reduced the activity which goes on around the tank, is he sick? Could it be new tank syndrome?

Thanks,

Jess

If you added the fish after a week with out an official cycle it probably isn't cycled and may have traces of ammonia or nitrite, I would do a 30% water change everyday(assuming its not cycled) also I think danios are schooling fish so maybe he's stressed being alone? I'm not to familiar with danios though.

Ok I'll do the water change every day, I asked the woman at the shop about him being lonely and she just said they don't sell two at the same time and to come back in a week, I've been worried about that. But I also don't want to put too many in because it's quite a small tank.

JHaddock said:
Ok I'll do the water change every day, I asked the woman at the shop about him being lonely and she just said they don't sell two at the same time and to come back in a week, I've been worried about that. But I also don't want to put too many in because it's quite a small tank.

She may have said that because it keeps the bio load(poop) low so that way if the tank isn't cycled it doesn't get overwhelmed with ammonia if there isn't a good bacteria colony built up in your filter yet. (Don't change your filter unless its falling apart and when you do, stick the new filter your going to use in with the old to give the bacteria time to grow on it. Also dechlorintate the water and turn your filter off when you add new water or the chlorine can kill your good bacteria.

Danios are schooling fish and very active they need a much bigger tank. Is there any chance you could take him back and maybe get a beta instead? Your tank would be a perfect size for 1 Just a suggestion :)

Danios are schooling fish and very active they need a much bigger tank. Is there any chance you could take him back and maybe get a beta instead? Your tank would be a perfect size for 1 Just a suggestion :)

Yeah I will take him back, or get a much bigger tank, I planned to buy a big one anyway, I will use the smaller one as a quarantine tank or something, do you think he will get better or die? He has moved once in the past few hours. But I will definitely get a better suited fish to my tank.

Thanks for the help guys, he just died :( I'll have to start again with smaller fish and invest in a massive aquarium

Yeah I treated it with API Stress Coat, it says it makes tap water safe and helps keep the fish de-stressed

Yeah, I thought maybe it had something to do with the water change because he died really shortly after that and was fine until then, maybe the temperature wasn't right? I could've shocked him with the change

JHaddock said:
Yeah, I thought maybe it had something to do with the water change because he died really shortly after that and was fine until then, maybe the temperature wasn't right? I could've shocked him with the change

Yeah try to touch his water in the tank and match the tap as close as you can.

If you could test the pH of your water straight from the tap, then test it after its in the tank for 12 hours. A big difference might explain things. Sometimes the fish are already stressed when you get them from poor conditions at the fish store. Then, some small thing can shock them and kill them. Usually a healthy fish can withstand certain changes, but a stressed fish might not survive. Did you see any dead fish in the tanks at your store?

No, I had a good look at them, I am now aware though that I bought my fish hours after it had been delivered to the store, so any bacteria it had didn't have time to be visible in the store, there was an established quarantine tank though which was being treated at the time.

Ah, well, there you go. Most fish stores have a guarantee on their stock for days or a few weeks after purchase.

yeah, next time I'll go on the day before they get their newest stock and then any diseases will be apparent, do you have any ideas on the species to start with, considering I have a tiny tank it'll have to be a tough little guy who doesn't mind being a little closed in

Back
Top Bottom