Fish keep dying-parasites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcelapa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! First time here on this forum.
I've got a 2.5 month old cycled 10gal tank. Started with a dwarf gourami, 3 corys, 1 guppy, and 2 ghost shrimp. Just added plants 2-3 weeks ago. Temp 76-77°, PH 7.4
Water parameters are all good, except when I brought water for testing to LFS, they said I had trace ammonia of 0.25. When I test my water at home it looks between 0 and 0.25. I did an immediate 20% water change. And will do another today. I do a 15-20% water change every week.
Now, my question: I keep losing fish. I just lost my dwarf gourami (stopped eating, dead 3 days later), lost a cory (stopped eating, emaciated, sat at tank bottom, euthanized him 2 weeks into it, no swimming issues), no visible external symptoms besides behavior changes. I did see some shimmying in the DG the day before it died. And one of my false julii corys is swimming frantically, harassing the other one, and seems uncomfortable but still eating.
So, I'm down to two corys, one guppy, and one ghost shrimp. Could I have internal parasites in my tank? No quarantine tank. I have some Imagitarium Parasite and Bacterial infection remedy. But I don't have a separate carbon filter to remove from my hob Marina Slim 15 filter. It has three one piece, plastic cased filters.
Any suggestions?

When I brought water to LFS they said my water was good except for trace ammonia. My home kit shows ammonia at zero. LFS is 2+ hrs away plus our last stop so don't know whether water taken from my tank 4 hours prior reads correctly.
Home readings:
Temp: 77°
Kh: 80
Gh: 120
Ph: 7.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10

I do treat my well water with API stress coat and add API Stresszyme with weekly water changes too.

I added live plants 2-3 weeks ago. My nitrates were zero prior to adding plants. I had some die back/melting. But removed dead plant material ASAP.

When I brought water to LFS they said my water was good except for trace ammonia. My home kit shows ammonia at zero. LFS is 2+ hrs away plus our last stop so don't know whether water taken from my tank 4 hours prior reads correctly.
Home readings:
Temp: 77°
Kh: 80
Gh: 120
Ph: 7.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10

I do treat my well water with API stress coat and add API Stresszyme with weekly water changes too.

I added live plants 2-3 weeks ago. My nitrates were zero prior to adding plants. I had some die back/melting. But removed dead plant material ASAP.

Sorry I should have been a bit clearer. I asked what do you know about your TAP water i.e source water, the water you use when you do water changes.

So we know it’s well water. Perhaps there’s something in the well water? I would stop adding stress coat and stresszyme. They are in no way necessary. All you need to is a simple dechlorinator.

I’d start with these changes first. Then take it from there.

So we know it’s well water. Perhaps there’s something in the well water? I would stop adding stress coat and stresszyme. They are in no way necessary. All you need to is a simple dechlorinator.

I’d start with these changes first. Then take it from there.
Well water is known for low oxygen content. Good aeration would be good to have here. Agree, stop adding all that stuff above, just a de chlorinator like you said.

Back
Top Bottom