fish paternity test...WHO'S THE DADDY?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fancy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I'm Fancy aka Carolyn. I'm a new aquarium owner and have referred to this site many times already. I became interested in fish accidentally I made a retro tv into a fish tank, and initially purchased my fish as decor. Well jokes on me, I adore these fish! and watch them for hours.

In my tank i have (and this is my best guess, I didn't pay that much attention when picking them)
-2 balloon mollies, 1-bright white, 1-dark grey
-2 tiger barbs orange
-1 neon dude who hangs out in the corner

One day i was surprised to find a stranger in the tank. One (err two) of my fish had babies/baby. I assumed it was the tiger barb because one of them was very protective when the fry was super tiny. However, now 2 months later, the fry is getting big and is definitely the shape of the molly fish, but is orange-ish in color with faint black stripes like the tiger barb.

Can these 2 types of fish mate? Or is it just a coincidence that the fry looks like a perfect cross between the 2 fish?

I'll include photos of these guys.

Confused,
Carolyn

Attachments

• IMG_2716.jpg
    IMG_2716.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2763.jpg
    IMG_2763.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2758.jpg
    IMG_2758.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2739.jpg
    IMG_2739.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 19
I think it would mollies mollies have live births and I don’t think that tiger barbs have live birth just eggs

Looks like a molly to me. Barbs cannot reproduce with mollies. The male molly isn't necessarily the father- as the females can hold sperm for months. So if you recently bought the fish- she could have been exposed to a different male.

thanks guys,

From what I've read, both of my mollies appear to be female. but @hannahjo that would make sense as I noticed the new fry about 1 month after I got the fish.

thanks for the info y'all

Back
Top Bottom