Fish Tank Noobie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InkedUpHero

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm new to the hobby. For the past few months I've had a 20Gal and I got a 46Gal about a month ago. Wife told me that's enough lol. The 46 came with a few fish that I don't know what they are and I've bought a few. The two rope fish and Oscar I have are my favourites so far. Though I know I'll have to find Oscar a new home. I seem to be doing something right, I haven't lost a fish yet lol.

Hi, I'm new to the hobby. For the past few months I've had a 20Gal and I got a 46Gal about a month ago. Wife told me that's enough lol. The 46 came with a few fish that I don't know what they are and I've bought a few. The two rope fish and Oscar I have are my favourites so far. Though I know I'll have to find Oscar a new home. I seem to be doing something right, I haven't lost a fish yet lol.
Yes I used to have a tiger Oscar not only are they aggressive but they can fairly large

Yes I used to have a tiger Oscar not only are they aggressive but they can fairly large
I'm starting to see just how aggressive he is. He's the only open water swimmer in the tank everything else is a bottom swimmer but he still seems to bully the others. He's only 2" right now but I know it won't be long before he's triple that.

Inkeduphero, just a suggestion, since you like your baby Oscar, might consider adding a baby 1" male"firemouth" maybe also a 1" " green terror" male.
Let them grow up together. The aggression will dilute and mutual stalemates will probably result.
My guess is that by the time the cichlids get large enough to re-home you will probably decide to upgrade your tank instead, and increase your cichlid population.
Good luck

Inkeduphero, just a suggestion, since you like your baby Oscar, might consider adding a baby 1" male"firemouth" maybe also a 1" " green terror" male.
Let them grow up together. The aggression will dilute and mutual stalemates will probably result.
My guess is that by the time the cichlids get large enough to re-home you will probably decide to upgrade your tank instead, and increase your cichlid population.
Good luck
The only issue I would have wit that is I had jack Dempsey that grew up with my Oscar and you are correct it usually end in stale mates but they suffered minor injuries.

As much as I would love to get more cichlids I dont have the space to upgrade my tank. My deal with the better half is no more tanks unless I trade my two and I haven't started working on my 20g set up yet. I'd like to learn with some smaller tanks.

Back
Top Bottom