Fish tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LCieParagon

Aquarium Advice Activist
To preface, I work at a pet store, and I've had fish the past 28 years.

Yesterday, I moved my 10 gallon tank from my mother's house to my apartment. Please don't lecture me to get a bigger tank. I live in a 250 sq ft apartment. Simply no room for it.

The tank was coming along fine. I had that specific one for 10 months. It had 3 kuhlii loaches, 2 danios, and a betta. They've lived peacefully together there the whole time. I've done extensive research on the fish I have, and I made a nice, heavily planted ecosystem for the tank.

When I moved yesterday, I cleaned the tank thoroughly, and added a few more things. I put in 2 blue rams, 3 danios and 2 snails.

Everything is doing great but the blue rams. They are very peaceful and the other fish are quite peaceful towards them. No nipping at all and I've watched the tank for quite a while to make sure of this. There is no fin damage. It looks like fungus is growing all over the blue rams' scales. No idea why this is and it's getting progressively worse. I never have this kind of problem.

For reference, I have a 20 gallon HOB filter, and I keep my temp at 81. Which is fine for everyone. My ph is 7. Blue rams like that lower ph slightly better than other SA cichlids.

I'll take a picture if I can.

eX6zliO.jpg

Welcome to AA. My blue, gold, and Bolivian rams get what you are describing from stress. A 20 long is the minimum for a pair. You could keep one in a ten, if it was the only fish. And that is debatable.

Welcome to AA. My blue, gold, and Bolivian rams get what you are describing from stress. A 20 long is the minimum for a pair. You could keep one in a ten, if it was the only fish. And that is debatable.

I've seen set ups where people housed blue rams in a 10 and the seemed to thrive. Like I said, everything else is doing so well too!

It sucks because these guys are small and hardly swim as it is. They are the least active fish in the entire tank.

I've seen set ups where people housed blue rams in a 10 and the seemed to thrive. Like I said, everything else is doing so well too!

It sucks because these guys are small and hardly swim as it is. They are the least active fish in the entire tank.

They are probably breeders, or don't know better. People keep fish in bowls and think its okay.

They are probably breeders, or don't know better. People keep fish in bowls and think its okay.

I know never to put any fish in bowls. Believe me.

One of my rams died since then. The other probably will too.

Today at work I'm going to purchase more live plants and add it to my aquarium. In a week or so when everything has settled, I will add only one Bolivian ram. It seems they are a little hardier. Only 7 cm max size too.

This sucks because I really like this set up I have.

I have a saltwater aquarium at home that's been set up for a year. It has coral, a sea urchin, peppermint shrimp, etc.

It's coming along nicely. I just wanted to make my freshwater one in tip top shape with a variety of healthy, happy fish.

Back
Top Bottom