Fisher of Men, and Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

padrecito17

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a Catholic Priest and recently got a 55 gallon aquarium. This is not new to me, I am just renewing my interest from years ago. I am amazed at how much I never knew about this "hobby." Presently, I am trying to get my tank stabilized. I have had a few deaths and am not sure what is wrong. My angels all die, some immediately, some after a few days. My guppies are also not lasting long. The angels would not eat much, and sometimes cling to the top, like they need oxygen. I have plenty of aeration and the filter works great. Temperature is between 76-80, a bit cool for angels, I know.
My tank stats at present: ph - 8.0
phosphorus - 1.0
nitrate - 40
nitrite - 1.0
ammonia - 0
I change partially the water every week

I have some live plants ulvasis, micro sword, amazon sword, red ludwiga, and wisteria ..

I have put some pertified wood in the tank, and a couple of artificial plants and a couple of artificial ornaments.

All the above I have gradually added since I got the tank about a month ago.

Well, that is who and where I am at present.

Glad to be here.

padrecito17

Welcome to AA!

Good advice above, it's most likely the elevated nitrIte in your tank (from your cycle occurring) that's causing your issues. Doing water changes to maintain that level below 0.5ppm is your best course of action for now.

Back
Top Bottom