Fresh new and freaky ! 27/m

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SerpentDrago

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Completely new to the hobby , but willing to learn , read and read some more !
any advise? here is a little of my setup and what i've learned/ done so far

Tank was bought for my wife for christmas (i do all the work she gets to look at fishys ;0 ) win/win :dance:

Setup so far

5 Gallon Fluval Chi With Lid
50 Watt Sub. Heater
3 Neon Tetra's (bought in LFS)
1 Anubias (bought in tube at petsmart)
1 Java Fern (bought in tube at petsmart)
1 asian looking ornament (bought in petsmart)

Day1: Rinsed and washed tank / filter/light/rocks Filled and let run.
-Treated water (city tap) with NutraFin Aqua plus
-added NutraFin cycle (shake bottle like a boss )
Day2: Added gravel from Walmart Rinsed like a boss ;0
Tank temp holding at 76-78 Unless otherwise noted

Day3: added 3 Neon Tetra's, LFS tested my ph 6.5 , LFS's water ph is 7 (Aware the the fact they may not be the happiest things in the world with only 3 and the size / dim of tank)

Day4: Changed water 2 gallons water (1gallon tap + 1 gallon distiled + nutrafin aqua plus) and tested for Ammonia .25 ppm (mg/L)

Day6: Ammonia tested almost 1.0 (almost that shade of green on the card)
Changed water 1 Gallon tap + treated with AquaPlus

Day7: Ammonia tested almost between 0 and .25 not really any green mybee just a little little bit so

Day8: Added Plants+ ornament and changed 1gallon tap water treated

Day9: Posted all this here :) tank temp droped to 70 ! forgot to turn on the heat in the house last night 55f ohhhohh Ammonia test .25ppm (mg/L)
temp is now 73F and climbing

I'm sure some of those days are not perfect but best i can remember , I've been reading and reading and reading online from multiple sources

Things I've learned by reading
-Tank needs to cycle , Ammonia will SPike , first fish may die and need to be very hearty , small tank may never really cycle proper
-Try to not use the cycle stuff and let the tank just do its thing , "boosting" my create inconsistent long term tank heath
-Tetras like schools and 6 is Minimum and tank not really wide enough but .. ohh well i got what i got
-Wash the crap out of the plants (snails?)
-Light is really not enough for plants but we will see how they manage

Ok well if you Read all that you are amazing ! just figured i'd put it all out there ..

Pics (Wife is the photo/cam person not me so mind the horid shots lol)
High res
Photo Album - Imgur

Welcome! You're n the right place! Sounds like you are doing your research. Good luck with your tank!

Welcome to AA!

Sounds like you did your research! My only problem is the tank is too small for those Neons, but you are already aware of that. Sounds like you are doing a good job keeping up testing the water and doing PWC's when needed. Keep us posted on the progression of your cycle.

Yeh well I can only talk down the wify so much when shes like Owwww look at those i want those !! . me .. you can't have those .. her "pouty face"

ohh ohh right ....

Yeh well I can only talk down the wify so much when shes like Owwww look at those i want those !! . me .. you can't have those .. her "pouty face"

ohh ohh right ....

:ROFLMAO: My mother is exactly the same way. "Oooooh, get that fish" "Mom, that would eat all my fish!"

Back
Top Bottom