Fresh Start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smikey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello there, I will be starting a FOWLER tank over the winter here in Rhode Island and can't wait to get it started. I have been doing a lot of research as I have never had a saltwater tank before only freshwater tanks growing up so any advise would be appreciated ! I will be taking the process very slow as I am building the stand and canopy myself. The build will be for a 100 gallon tank.

I will probably be ordering all my needs from online as the local shops here are pretty poorly kept with the exception of one but the prices for product are about 2x more than others.

One question I still haven't found an answer for is filtration. I realize the live rock will be my main filtration but I want to put a sump in as well but I know very little about them and assembly and have not found any detailed info on them online.

Thank you all and I look forward to hearing and helping (if I can) you too!!

There is tons of info about them on the web. What are the answers your looking for maybe ill be able to help. If your going to do corals or even down the line I would recommend a sump with a fuge

Thanks basically looking for info on install, (detailed) any diagram links would be great. The only videos I've found have been brief and not detailed at all. Might add I plan on drilling the tank myself. Years down the line as I get a grasp with saltwater I would love to add coral.
Any brands of sumps I should stay away from?

Thank you again

Smikey said:
Thanks basically looking for info on install, (detailed) any diagram links would be great. The only videos I've found have been brief and not detailed at all. Might add I plan on drilling the tank myself. Years down the line as I get a grasp with saltwater I would love to add coral.
Any brands of sumps I should stay away from?

Thank you again

I prefer building my own and I've only.bought one in since I started. So I really cant comment on the brands. It's a lot cheaper to buy a tank go to home depot and have them cut plexi glass to size that you need. There are tons of how to or DIY on the web to build your own.

I've always been to scared to try drilling the tank. Buy I know its the way to go if you can do it.

If you by a sump get the biggest one you can fit in the cabinet, bigger is always better plus if it has a big enough open space you can add a fuge later down the road if you want. For the skimmer you'll need one rated for 300 gallons imo or more if you can afford it.

For a pump you'll need one around 1000gph more or less and your overflow box or if you drill it will need to be able to handle 1000gph

Last edited:
Awesome thanks for info, I am building the stand and canopy myself to save $ this way I can spend it on the " go overboard if you can" items like the skimmer and sump!! Another question is do you think I will need two heaters for the tank?

Smikey said:
Awesome thanks for info, I am building the stand and canopy myself to save $ this way I can spend it on the " go overboard if you can" items like the skimmer and sump!! Another question is do you think I will need two heaters for the tank?

It all depends on where you live really. I live in Ohio and its already getting down to freezing at night so I have to run two on my 180. I would think two 200watt heaters would be plenty but if it gets really cold where you live a 200 and 250 would be better.

Oh wow freezing already yikes!!!! It does to get really cold here in the winter from time to time. Should one heater go in the tank and other in the sump? Thanks again!!!!

I can't stand the looks of stuff in my tanks so I try to hide or take it out whenever I can. In the summer months here I take the one out because its not needed but in the winter I do need it. Plus my tank is in the basement so it stays cooler

Back
Top Bottom