Freshwater familiar but Saltwater Rookie! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koco35

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,

As a child/teen I had multiple freshwater tanks. The fun I had watching my fish is what inspired me to set up a freshwater ten gallon tank for my young son (6 Years old). It is also want peaked an interest within me to give a saltwater reef tank a try.

I have purchased and set up a 14 gallon biocube and have added the saltwater, live sand, and live rock. I am looking into adding a cleanup crew today so I am on my way and would love to hear any suggestions or concerns for my current set up.

Thanks in advance for your time and your help:fish2:

Hello all,

As a child/teen I had multiple freshwater tanks. The fun I had watching my fish is what inspired me to set up a freshwater ten gallon tank for my young son (6 Years old). It is also want peaked an interest within me to give a saltwater reef tank a try.

I have purchased and set up a 14 gallon biocube and have added the saltwater, live sand, and live rock. I am looking into adding a cleanup crew today so I am on my way and would love to hear any suggestions or concerns for my current set up.

Thanks in advance for your time and your help:fish2:

You've just set the tank up? If so you need to cycle it first before adding anything, you'll want to check salinity also...

If you get a CUC which is not needed at this stage of the game right now they will just die, they need food to survive and you tank needs to be ready to house them.

You've just set the tank up? If so you need to cycle it first before adding anything, you'll want to check salinity also...

If you get a CUC which is not needed at this stage of the game right now they will just die, they need food to survive and you tank needs to be ready to house them.

Hi convict;)

I was able to cycle the tank with just the live rock and live sand I added. I just checked all the important levels with my test kit tonight. The results were as follows...

Ammonia... 0
Nitrites... 0
Nitrates... 0
ph... 8.0 to 8.2

I think i might need to adjust my ph... but i am not sure. Is it high enough?

I brought a water sample from both tanks in on Saturday. The saltwater tank results came in fine but the ammonia levels in my freshwater tank is still too high even after numerous water changes. I did yet another eater change and put this plastic indicator device that is supposed to indicate when my ammonia levels are too dangerous for the fish.

Since the last water change on Sunday it appears to be in the safe range OR the device isnt working Lol!

Hi convict;)

I was able to cycle the tank with just the live rock and live sand I added. I just checked all the important levels with my test kit tonight. The results were as follows...

Ammonia... 0
Nitrites... 0
Nitrates... 0
ph... 8.0 to 8.2

I think i might need to adjust my ph... but i am not sure. Is it high enough?

:Welcome: to AA! We hope you enjoy

You may have added bacteria from the live rock and sand but without an ammonia source the filtration would have no good bacteria. It also means the tank didn't cycle. Your test kit is reading good because there isn't anything in it that makes ammonia. You should check out the links provided above. Hope you understand and we are all here to help. Good luck

:Welcome: to AA! We hope you enjoy

You may have added bacteria from the live rock and sand but without an ammonia source the filtration would have no good bacteria. It also means the tank didn't cycle. Your test kit is reading good because there isn't anything in it that makes ammonia. You should check out the links provided above. Hope you understand and we are all here to help. Good luck

In my job as a teacher i totally understand what you are saying... and trust me i am glad for the help! I am just a little frustrated because the guy at the local fish store said that the rock and sand were enough to cycle the tank and now i am finding out he was wrong! Just sad really:(

Well that is depressing:(

What do you suggest to remove high ammonia levels in a freshwater tank?

Water changes, even if it has to be back to back 50% changes.
In my job as a teacher i totally understand what you are saying... and trust me i am glad for the help! I am just a little frustrated because the guy at the local fish store said that the rock and sand were enough to cycle the tank and now i am finding out he was wrong! Just sad really:(

We run in to that a lot here and it is sad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome:flowers:

I have a question about my saltwater tank... last weekend I added about 5 hermit crabs... and about 4 snails.

Since then i have noticed a film of sorts on the sides of my tank. I am also noticing hairlike stuff hanging off my rocks and off some of the walls.

Is this algae?

If so i thought the snails and hermit crabs would take care of this?

What should i do?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom