German blue ram pair in planted community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steele22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, just thought i would share how i went in the first week after adding a pair of dwarf rams to my 125l aquarium. They are juveniles and the guy said he could pick a good pair to start with. The shop had 2 big tanks full of GBR'S? One younger and one more young adult and they all looked really good and healthy. The first day after settling them in with 15 little lemon tetra they didnt take long to spawn, at least it looked like it. All lovely with a territory sorted and started eating too. After a couple of days the male guarded the 'home' and chased the female, and was quite aggressive to her for three or so days. Today, they are all together and take it in turns to look after home. No more aggro between them either. Hope it works out from here, and glad i didnt panic and separate them as suggested in some forums. Such amazing fish and i am sure as they grow it will be awesome. The lemon tetra are starting to get really defined couloring now, and although a little boring, i will be patient with them all and the plants which are just starting to take off too. 10 weeks into this set up with 2 T5s on for 8 hours a day. Really addictive and so much to learn.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Photo of set up

Attachments

• 1427028648714.jpg
    1427028648714.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 85
Got home tonight, looked at the tank and I couldnt believe what happened. There were little wrigglers all over a rock when I then realised my german blue rams had fry. I got a net and caught a few which are now isolated in the tank after watching the male stuffing the fry into his mouth. Couldnt believe that he was actually catching the fry in his mouth and then spitting them back out into the spot they created. Its true that they do this and how awesome that i could witness it too. See how it is in the morning. There were so many fry when i realised what was going on. 100+ easy. Too good!!!

My guess is that they have laid eggs before. Usually GBR eat the eggs the first couple times. Your doing something right ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky and stoked. The parents may be eating some, but the instinct to corall and put them back is encouraging. See how it pans out after the lights go back on in the morning. Few other preditors in the tank to bat off too. Fingers crossed.

Does that tank have a built-in wave shaped base? I've seen a few like that but can't tell from the pic.

Nah, just shaped the gravel to be varying in depth. Next step is to create more depth overall. Figuring out how a good sized bit of driftwood will work best. Probably off the big slate rock somehow. Mindful to keep that third of the tank point as the main focal point. Need to figure the grass patches as well as the liquid fert is starting to improve everything else now? But it's looking a bit bare and bashed. Swapping out chinese algae eaters for ottos tomorrow which may help.

The fry all gone next morning, so bit sad but hope the parents learn more each time they spawn. I need to get the environment better too.

Back
Top Bottom