Getting back into it : )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jCurve

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Checking in from Brisbane Australia. Just getting back into fish keeping after 20 years. I did it as a teenager and loved my fish but life gets in the way. I remember packing that old tank away and pulling it out for the wall and saying, "so that's where all those fish went" as i discovered a bunch of dried fish corpses behind the tank. This time I have a good lid. Anyway....

At the moment I'm only running one 20 gal freshwater tropical tank. I'm ashamed to say it's well overcrowded and but I will be upsizing to a 50 gal soon. Community tank populated with Cardinals, Blackskirts, Bristlenose, Serpae, Scissortails, Algae Eaters a Khuli Loach a couple of Blue Rams and 2 baby Discus. As I say one overcrowded 2ft tank but the problem was I inherited some of the fish so until i can save some dollars and upsize, I have to make this work. Tank base is a fine almost sand like gravel. A mix of fake and real plants and some volcanic rocks. The filter is a HOB Aquaclear 50. Larger than the tank needs but with the population overload I wanted something that will keep things clean. Generally keeping the temp at 28 degrees trying to find a balance between the Discus and the rest. PH sits steady at about 6.8. Looking forward to improving this info : )

Worst part is the tank is still cycling.wasn't finished before I had these fish thrust on me so I'm doing some pretty serious water management at the moment. So far so good. No visible signs of stress.

I'm sure I'll have some questions along the way and my hope is eventually to have a decent large freshwater setup running and also a saltwater but baby steps. Hopefully with some good advice I can get things on track. One of the reasons I started up again is because I want my kids to see how rewarding it can be as well.

Talk soon

J

Welcome to Aquarium Advice, where experienced aquarists meet newbies!

I sure hope you can get a bigger tank soon, doesn't sound like a good situation. I'm a bit surprised that you are keeping Cardinal Tetras and German Blue Rams in a tank that is still cycling! I guess those water changes are diligent though. I hope it goes well!

Diligent doesn't begin to cover it. I'm monitoring that thing daily. Ammonia is still high at 0.5 but I'm doing 30% changes every one to two day's with water that's PH and temperature matched. No ammonia out of the tap. Virgin buckets etc etc. The only concern I have is that while the discus are active, they're not eating but I'll hit the discus forums about that.

[moderator edit] but whatever it takes right?

Probably take me a month to get the $750 I need for the new tank and then I'll have to cycle that as well although maybe if I fill it with water and rocks, gravel, plants etc from the existing tank it will speed up the process.

The cardinals seem pretty bullet proof but I'm watching those Rams pretty carefully. Awesome fish.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom