Getting started and learning lessons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
I like the cave. :) make sure the rhizome isn't buried. It will rot and the plant will die. You java fern will do much better tied to the slate.

Tie it on top of the slate? It's not buried put it in the tank let it slowly sink and once it hit bottom it scooted it to the corner.

xigtc said:
Tie it on top of the slate? It's not buried put it in the tank let it slowly sink and once it hit bottom it scooted it to the corner.

That's ok :) look up what a rhizome is. As long as it gets light, it's fine. Java ferns don't use their roots to absorb nutrients but instead use them to anchor themselves to things like rocks, sand and wood.

I looked up rhizome. That's a pretty cool rooting system. Here's what the plant looks like. I have more small pieces of granite that I could put under and tie it to. Don't know that I'd like it on the slate being its in the center of the tank.

Attachments

• image-466713300.jpg
    image-466713300.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 76
Lovin Fish said:
Anacharis is beautiful in bunches in the corners of the tank or on the back wall.

I might look tomorrow at the LFS. They were out of stock on a lot of stuff. I can't even express how thankful I am for the help and advice. I ask here and know I'll get a pretty honest answer. I've even began to quiz the people at the store. Funny what they'll say just to sale you stuff....

I might look tomorrow at the LFS. They were out of stock on a lot of stuff. I can't even express how thankful I am for the help and advice. I ask here and know I'll get a pretty honest answer. I've even began to quiz the people at the store. Funny what they'll say just to sale you stuff....

Yeah it is amazing sometimes what some staff at pet stores will say. Not all of them are unknowledgable though, but ya gotta be real careful how you take the answers/info...always research what they tell you! You can never go wrong in that case!! :) I am sure not all of the mis-information is on-purpose. Sometimes folks are trying to help.
When I first started, I got a ton of mis-information from a guy at my LFS. Man my tank was a crowded mess! Too many fish, too many species, too many too many! I had been doing research, but trusted him more for some reason :facepalm:

All is going great but one thing my Java fern keeps moving so I've going to tie it down to a smaller rock. Could I use some fishing line or should I use something else?

Attachments

• image-3672909871.jpg
    image-3672909871.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 57
Yes, fishing line, cotton thread, rubber band or even super glue works. :)

I just used cotton thread recently because I like that it disolves, but the kind I used started to disinegrate too quickly. (I do have a lot of current in my tank though.) All my plants were floating after only 5 days :rolleyes: I re-tied them all with fishing line. Much better IMO. Can't see it and it will hold forever! So if you use thread, get a thick strong cotton thread for sure :)

ps
Also though, my pleco helped the thread release the plants bulldosing through the archway.

Awesome I'll use some fishing line. I appreciate all of the info that's been shared!!
Thank you!

Lovin Fish said:
I just used cotton thread recently because I like that it disolves, but the kind I used started to disinegrate too quickly. (I do have a lot of current in my tank though.) All my plants were floating after only 5 days :rolleyes: I re-tied them all with fishing line. Much better IMO. Can't see it and it will hold forever! So if you use thread, get a thick strong cotton thread for sure :)

ps
Also though, my pleco helped the thread release the plants bulldosing through the archway.

Really? Must have been thin lol. I have cotton thread in some tanks going on 6-8 months still holding strong. I'm actually wanting it to degrade lol.

Really? Must have been thin lol. I have cotton thread in some tanks going on 6-8 months still holding strong. I'm actually wanting it to degrade lol.

Yeah...that's what I summed it up as...super thin. Doesn't look thin LOL! Maybe in the night the Pleco was munching on it breaking it down??? Maybe. Just a thought. He does he everything he can get his sucker on LOL!

Well I was just getting in bed, said goodnight to the fish and didn't see the Bristle nose. Looked around found it on its back behind the fern.

Checked the water levels and all checked out within reason. So I'm bummed. It was a pretty active fish loved sitting on the rock.

Im here to help

Hi all, I had the chance to get into fish about a month ago. Bought a 5 gal tank, gravel, and all the supplies recommended. I bought just based off looks and little research 5 fish. 1 Tiger Oscar, 2 Lab Cichlids, 1 Red Zebra Cichlid, & 1 Algae eater. Everything was going great up until last week.

Ammonia levels sky rocketed. So I did everything is read up on to get things back to normal. I lost the 3 Cichlids due to the strain from the high lvls.

I believe I've learned why it became so bad. To many fish, and I didn't keep track of the filter replacement.

Since this lesson learned, I've been keeping a eye on the Ammonia, Nitrate, & pH levels. I know my tank is to small for the Oscar and I'm looking for a new home for it or to get a larger 10 gal tank.

Any words of advice? I've read up on cycling the tank and have now gone to the local Fishy Business store to talk with the employees to get some pointers.

Thanks,
Thomas
First off, you did not cycle the tank first, you could expidite cycling by adding stress zyme to a new tank, its not really for stress, its bacteria that helps establish a healthy aqurium with the healthy bacteria a new tank needs to be safe for fish keeping. We all must remember, a fish tank of any size is not a lake of water, in a tank, it is comes complete with its challenges. Water needs to be replaced 1/3 every week, i do mine every weekend. Oscars get large and your going to require a 29 gallon for those guys, they get huge, like up to 12 complete inches at maturity.
You must keep the ph at 7.0. a water temp of no lower then 78. to keep ammonia at bay I use aqurium salt, one tablespoon for every ten gallons of water, this keeps your fishes gills lubricated when subjected to high levels of ammonia. I fed my oscars frozen krill, blood worms not freeze dried anything, takes all the nutients away. Buy a gravel vac, and do not ever strip clean a filtration device where you have grown healthy bacteria or you will have to wait all over again for it to regrow and this is not a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom