good to be back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baseball16

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi, my name is Larry. I owned a fish store between 1983 and 1991 in Simi Valley Calif. Due to some unfortunate circumstances i had to close my store. My store was primary fresh water with a small salt water section. After 25 years i was drawn back into the hobby along with my 5 year old grandson. The biggest thing i discovered was that most stores now specialize in saltwater with some freshwater fish and very few had live plants. Most of the stores were dirty and run by people who didnt really know much. My guess is the big box stores had taken over much of the business. This makes me very sad. The hobby hasnt changed much the basics are still the same. I would love to go back into the business but financially i dont think its possible. I think having a store owned by a true hobbyist would be fantastic and help spread the hobby to a new generation. I look forward to bringing the basics of the hobby to a new generation. This is going to be fun.

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon shrimp and snail tank

Hello, and welcome.
I guess I'm lucky in that I live in an area with $ LFS, 3 of which are clean stores with knowledgeable staff. 1 is dirty and run down. 2 stores have a good mix of fresh and salt water, I think, though I know nothing of salt water so my opinion doesn't count for much. You're correct though, in saying that none have much in the way of plants. I actually find a better selection of plants at most Petcos and Petsmarts that at an LFS.
I'm sure your knowledge and experience will be welcome additions to the forums.

Back
Top Bottom