Great White North

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThePlantedMedic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi from Ontario, Canada;

Just started my first ever tank. 75G dirted. Currently being cycled. Looking forward to learning what I can from you all and sharing my Journey from the newest of new guys to the hobby!

Jay

Welcome to the forum! What kinda light are you going to run with this tank? High tech or low tech? Any idea on plants or stocking?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Welcome to the forum! What kinda light are you going to run with this tank? High tech or low tech? Any idea on plants or stocking?

I have an AquaticLife Marquis which houses two 52W 6,000K T5 HO bulbs. The tank is currently low tech. I have aspirations for CO2 and EI dosing in the near future, one step at a time. I am paranoid of the tank being overcome by algae during my fishless cycle so I have stuffed a ton of plants in it. I am also running the lights for ~6 hours a day as there is no CO2 injection yet and no other means to combat algae. It is dirted with Miracle Gro Organic potting soil and capped with blasting sand, the excess nutrients is what makes me paranoid about alage. Some people advised me to maybe not do dirt as I am new however I figured to give it a go anyways, hope that doesnt come back to bite me!

The plants I have used so far are Jungle Val, Rotala, Anubias, Hornwart, Java Fern and a couple different Swords. Foregound/carpeting plants are impossible to come by in my area and I will need to order them online I think. I am also looking for one show piece plant I have saved a nice bare spot for (madagascar lace maybe? would like something with another colour other than green).

I have no idea what I am going to stock it with fish-wise, I am actually researching that currently.

I am on day 4 of the cycle and will be looking for an area to post a Journal of this experience on here somewhere within the next couple of days.

:fish1:

I'm not sure if you can get high tech with that light and this tank. 21" (ok probably like 18" after the dirt and sand) alot of water to penetrate to 2 T5HOs.

I wouldn't be to worried about excess nutrients, you have fast growing plants that will take care of them (hornwort and rotala).

If I ever upgraded my 75 reef and made it a planted tank I would probably stock mostly SA fish. You could do fish like cardinal tetras, cory catfish, or angel fish (m/f pair only). When you have more experience German Blue Rams or Discus might be species to consider. Please don't buy a ram or discus right after your cycle ends or even in the first 6 months of having the tank. Both species have specific needs that require alot of time and effort. Ie-rams really need nitrate levels under 10ppm most other fish are under 20ppm, discus enjoy even lower nitrate levels. Once you get the experience though both fish can be show stoppers in the right environment.

Please post the link to your journal here because I would like to follow it. I suggest the Planted Tank section or the Members Freshwater Showcase section for the journal.

Feel free to ask any questions you want, the only dumb question is the one that you don't ask.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom