Greeting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Briar Druid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, everyone, :)

I just joined. Was looking for info as to which heater to get for my upcoming tank, and ended up finding this forum. This looks like a great place. :)

I am not entirely new to fish, but almost. Twenty years ago I had two 10 gallon tanks with a few Neons and Mollies and some plant that grew like a weed and kept trying to take over. Those two tanks were left totally alone (other than feeding) - every time I tried to do anything, sans changing a bit of water every two months or so, things went awry. If I left them alone, they were crystal clear, and the Mollies kept reproducing and eating their babies. :( I left those tanks to a friend when I left grad school and moved.

I also had a Betta at the same time, who lived in a med. size bowl with some sand and a banana plant. He was pretty, friendly and happy, kept building bubble nests and staring at me, but one day I came home and found that he had committed suicide by jumping out of his bowl. :( I didn't know they could (or would) do that, I'd have put a net on top or something otherwise. It was very sad.

Anyway, that was, like I said, 20 year ago. I decided to get into it again - a little bit. This time I really want to dip a toe into aquascaping - on a small scale, I don't have room or money for big tanks, alas. I just ordered myself a Fluval Edge 12 gallon (got seduced by the looks - common sense told me just to get a regular 10 gallon tank again, buuuuuut...), and am in the process of getting together everything I'll need - thus the quest for an appropriate heater. Already got a water testing kit, and am trying to figure out if I need an air pump or not, and if the tubing from the pump would fit into the back column of the setup... Also doing lots of reading on which plants will do best in that tank without modding the lights... I would add a couple of LED strips to it, but I just don't have the extra 40 to 80 bucks right now, not if I want to get anything else. Maybe later. We'll see.

Fish-wise, I am thinking of a few Neons, and a focal "special" fish. I'd love it if I could put a male Betta in there with the Neons, but that sounds like an iffy proposition. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do quite yet.

So that's where I'm at.

Cheers,
Briar. :fish2:

Welcome to the forum!!

I hate to say I giggled about your betta. Believe it or not it is very common when conditions are less than ideal..Red, a betta I had for a year or so, jumped out of his bowl when I went on vacation. My grandparents tried to trick me and replace him with another red betta thinking I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I was 21 at the time lol.

Anyway. I like the fluval. Good choice. Lots of low light plants that will thrive. As far as stocking idk!

Welcome to the forum!!

I hate to say I giggled about your betta. Believe it or not it is very common when conditions are less than ideal..Red, a betta I had for a year or so, jumped out of his bowl when I went on vacation. My grandparents tried to trick me and replace him with another red betta thinking I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I was 21 at the time lol. ...

:blink: This reminds me of several comedy routines... :lol:

Like your avatar, btw - cute dog. I decided to get back into aquariums because my 13 yo German Shepherd passed away two months ago, and I am absolutely going nuts with loneliness and missing her... :( Fish is totally different, of course, but the aquascaping side of it seems like the kind of zen occupation to keep me busy right now while I'm waiting for a new pup. Knowing me, I'll probably get obsessed with it as a new hobby - the idea of a living art form really appeals to me.

:blink: This reminds me of several comedy routines... :lol:

Like your avatar, btw - cute dog. I decided to get back into aquariums because my 13 yo German Shepherd passed away two months ago, and I am absolutely going nuts with loneliness and missing her... :( Fish is totally different, of course, but the aquascaping side of it seems like the kind of zen occupation to keep me busy right now while I'm waiting for a new pup. Knowing me, I'll probably get obsessed with it as a new hobby - the idea of a living art form really appeals to me.

Lol totally awful. But so true. My grandparents are funny.

Sorry about your pup. Mine is always by my side if I'm not at work. With this hobby there are so many options it is amazing. A few threads come to mind. Forts rimless 12g build,.convicts first attempt at a planted tank, and rivercats 220g planted journal. If you have a planted tank it can be very involved with trimming, planting, adjusting, and watching.

Back
Top Bottom