Greetings!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lkck

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! My husband and I are somewhat new to the fish scene. We started a 15-gal. aquarium back in December which currently houses some Tiger Barbs, Red-Eye Tetras and a little spotted catfish. We then purchased a used 90-gal. tank which has been up and running for two months or so. This tank has a sand base, and we are using two AquaClear 110 power filters in it. It currently houses 2 Sunburst Plattys and 2 Black Mollies; however, we also had an adorable Black Ghost Knife, who died yesterday from unknown causes. We had been trying to lower the pH of the tank down to 7.0 or a little below, as we were planning to move the Plattys/Mollies out to another tank, and use the 90-gal. strictly for the BGK and also purchase some Discus. We are wondering if the chemical we had used to lower the pH was the cause of our BGK's death. If not that, we can't imagine what caused him to die? We had him for about 3 weeks, and he seemed very happy. In fact, he was out and about more than most people say they normally are, and we thoroughly enjoyed watching him. We were feeding the other fish flakes, and he would even eat those off the floor of the tank, but we'd feed him frozen brine shrimp, too, which he would scoff up. The past 3-4 days, he retreated to his cave, and didn't seem to want to eat. Nothing looked wrong with him physically - color fine, no spots/tears, etc. He just stopped being out, and remained within his lava rock cave. I had just purchased a big batch of ghost shrimp for him yesterday, and while they were floating in the tank, adjusting, I looked and found our BGK dead on the sand. Can anyone give us any advise or shed any light here? Thanks....

Last edited:
Welcome to AA!

Sorry to hear about your Black Ghost Knife... While I don't know much about them, I do know they prefer dimly lit aquariums, which might explain why he hid away. Black Ghost Knives are also susceptible to bacterial infections, so despite there being no spots (by which you mean ich?), there may have been something else.

A lot of people are on the threads here, though you may wish to ask your question on one of these two forums:

Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

There will be more people here that can help you with your question.

Best of luck to you! I hope you don't lose any more fish...

Back
Top Bottom