Greetings! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MommaTes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone! I'm joining this board because recently my husband and I allowed our 7 year old to talk us into getting some fish. Which means, I get to take care of fish! LOL! So, we went to Walmart (insert groans here, I know) and got everything I thought we'd need, ended up getting a few things more than we needed but at least we aren't without! And while my husband was **** bent on getting her FIVE rather large goldfish, I stepped in and said "three". Now I wish I had gotten a bigger tank, they're okay for now but we're getting them a 10 gallon tank VERY soon, they're in a five gallon one for now and have enough room but.. well I want them to have room to grow. Now, the fish that we got, well... I had to try and look up what kind they are. I *think* we ended up with 1 Comet goldfish and 2 Black Moor goldfish, but I'm not 100% on the Black Moor thing.. and the tag on their tank @ the store just said "asst goldfish" :facepalm: Anyway... I've attached a picture of them, so if anyone has a better idea of what kind of goldfish they are, let me know! (Also, the angle of the first picture makes the tank look a LOT smaller than it really is.) I'm learning as I go but have had the fish for over a month now and they are active, love the bubbles the aerator (is that the right word?) gives them and have been throwing around the "gems" that my daughter said they just HAD to have. (Crystal things that were scattered throughout but are now stacked up in the corners.) Now, I have never had fish before, not even as a kid, and am finding them highly entertaining and well... adorable. My daughter named them "Nemo" is the orange one (didn't see that one coming) "Annie" is the grayish one (which I'm pretty sure is a boy.. go figure) and "Blinky" is the blacker one (which is doubly funny since they don't blink..) I however just call them the three stooges.. So, I think I'm hooked!

Attachments

• 292050_2553676125343_1357117041_3008303_1688267524_n.jpg
    292050_2553676125343_1357117041_3008303_1688267524_n.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 313523_2568694780800_1357117041_3019330_284774812_n.jpg
    313523_2568694780800_1357117041_3019330_284774812_n.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 62
:welcome: to AA! (y)

Unfortunately, even a 20gal would not be enough for a what looks like a common goldfish and two blackmoors. Goldfish have large bio-loads, meaning they produce a ton of waste, which means ammonia. Since you just got the tank, I'm assuming it is not cycled? Please read the link in LyndaB's post on cycling. In the meantime, you will need to be extremely vigilant on water changes.

Thank you Aces!
Lynda & jcolon - I have read about cycling the tank (after getting the fish, go figure.. yay for being unprepared! smh.) so I'm in the process of getting that established. In fact, I'm doing yet another water change today (which is always fun with the comet/common? especially, she likes to try and make a break for it!) And wow, for three goldfish I'm going to need a 40* gallon tank? Works for me, I was going to get them a 20 gallon this next weekend, but I can easily get a 40* gallon one, I think I'm going to need a stand for that one though as where we have the 10 gallon right now is on a built-in shelf in the living room (away from little fingers and prying paws) and while I'm not concerned about the weight, it's the depth of the shelf that more than likely will not allow a 40* gallon.

Last edited:
Thank you Aces!
Lynda & jcolon - I have read about cycling the tank (after getting the fish, go figure.. yay for being unprepared! smh.) so I'm in the process of getting that established. In fact, I'm doing yet another water change today (which is always fun with the comet/common? especially, she likes to try and make a break for it!) And wow, for three goldfish I'm going to need a 40* gallon tank? Works for me, I was going to get them a 20 gallon this next weekend, but I can easily get a 40* gallon one, I think I'm going to need a stand for that one though as where we have the 10 gallon right now is on a built-in shelf in the living room (away from little fingers and prying paws) and while I'm not concerned about the weight, it's the depth of the shelf that more than likely will not allow a 40* gallon.

If you can return one / rehome of the Goldfish, you can then go with a 30gal.

Since your ok with a 40gal, I'd suggest a 40gallon Breeder which gives you a nice size surface area to better promote oxygen exchange. The link on the bottom lists common aquarium sizes I think you'll find useful. The down side of any 40gal is you'll often times need dedicated stand since coffee tables, dressers bookshelves probably can't handle the weight. In all honesty, I suggest rehoming the common / comet since it can get up to a 8inches long. Those goldfish are really better suited for ponds where they can get up to a foot. Fancy goldfish like blackmoors could reach up to 4-6 inches.

Filtration will be very important with goldfish. You'll need to look at a filter that handle a 55gal tank at minimum. Canister filters like the fluval 305 / 306 would be a good choice. There are several good filter options, and this is one area you really do not want to skimp on.

It will take some work to get the tank established, but it's worth the rewards.

Aquaticscape.com

jcolon - As far as the comet goes, the plan is to put her in an old fish pond @ my father in law's house once it's ready (we're currently remodeling the property, so it won't be ready until next spring, so I have time to get it COMPLETELY ready for her). I've been shopping around for an aquarium and a stand that will go well in our living room that is the right size. Believe you me, I was shocked when I identified her as a comet and read about how big they get! That was when we decided to keep the old fish pond @ father-in-law's instead of getting rid of it. So, would getting a 30-36 gallon tank be okay for now (I understand that it would require more maintenance)? There is so much to learn and I'm up to my eyeballs in research on the stooges. I am surprised however at what all I have read about NOT putting comets with fancy goldfish, as these three get along just fine. Now, another question would be, once we put "Nemo" (gotta love the names kids pick out) in the pond, would she be okay alone or do we need to get her a pond-mate, since she's been with these for (as far as I can tell) for quite awhile?? Another thing we are up for is using this existing five gallon for some OTHER fish, smaller.. less complicated.. fish. Any suggestions on which ones would be appropriate for that sized tank? I'd hate to just get rid of it or have it sit empty. (Yes, apparently, I'm a glutton for punishment :lol:)

Hi and welcome to AA:) Yes your totally hooked:lol: Great to see you trying so hard for your new found friends:)
you maybe surprised but small tropical fishes are much easier to keep than goldfish and you can keep more of them:fish2::dance: Goldfish do like company of their own kind so yes a mate or two for when they go in the pond would be a good idea:)
Ps love the names of the:fish2: my sister calls one of mine quasimodo as its so ugly in her opinion:lol:

I do agree with stingrays4 that tropical fish are easy to keep. The misconception was you had to keep the water warm otherwise they'd die. But actually, many tropical fish can live just fine in room temperature water from 64 - 74 degree, although a heater is always a good idea.

A pond for the comet would be great, sounds like you have that covered.

IMO a 5gal is really only suitable for shrimp and or snails, or as a hospital QT tank. You could keep a single betta or some neon tetras, but if you can wait long enough, Petco always has their $1.00 gal sale and you can then look to invest in a 10gal.

Welcome to AA! I'd have to say it is so nice to see someone actually taking on everyones advise so willingly. Well done!! I'm sure your fish will have a long happy life in their new tank. :)

Thank you so much for the warm welcomes and advice, I know when I'm out of my element and with fish, being that these are my first, I am so there LOL! I had no idea that goldfish were so.. demanding, I mean in your head it's like "they're goldfish.." ya know, the ones that "never live" etc (now I know WHY, so much could go wrong.) And yes, my daughter picked out some great names and LOL @ quasimodo! That's a good one! The 5 gallon tank really is smaller than I thought it would be, I don't know why I thought it would be bigger lol. Yea, I was thinking about either getting a beta (or something as small) for it or just keeping it as like the recovery tank should something ever happen. Eeek! I never even thought about tropical fish, I guess because I thought that they were so much more maintenance. But for now, we'll be sticking with the stooges, especially since, apparently, they can live for a LONG time (like a lot of fish, I'm learning).

Hi your welcome:). I also had a catfish of me mate and that was called Herbet!:fish1: Perhaps we should start a thread 'Titled' unusual names for fishes:fish2: With your fish,resist the temptation to feed to much and keep up with the water changes and they will be fine for now:)

Back
Top Bottom