Greetings!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monzie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there...

Freshwater newbies here. Bought my kids a 27 gal "cube" tank and we set it up about 5 weeks ago. We've been running a fishless cycle ever since and, with all the water testing I've been doing, I'm beginning to feel more like a mad scientist than anything else. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever be able to buy fish for this thing. I've been reading other posts on "stalled cycles" but since nobody has the exact same conditions we do, I figured I would join up and post my cycling woes in the hopes that someone would take pity and give me some advice. And who knows? Maybe if we get this thing functional, I'll have a reason to stick around and keep posting! *fingers crossed*

Hi there...

Freshwater newbies here. Bought my kids a 27 gal "cube" tank and we set it up about 5 weeks ago. We've been running a fishless cycle ever since and, with all the water testing I've been doing, I'm beginning to feel more like a mad scientist than anything else. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever be able to buy fish for this thing. I've been reading other posts on "stalled cycles" but since nobody has the exact same conditions we do, I figured I would join up and post my cycling woes in the hopes that someone would take pity and give me some advice. And who knows? Maybe if we get this thing functional, I'll have a reason to stick around and keep posting! *fingers crossed*

What's your
Nitrates
Nitrites
Ammonia
Readings?

I was going to post that stuff in a separate thread but, since you asked...

I've been dosing ammonia up to 2 daily (sometimes multiple times a day). It clears to 0 within 12 to 24 hours. Nitrates have been hanging around 2 (although I find it really hard to distinguish between the colors on this test, so who knows if I'm correct about that). Nitrates are around 40 today. Those have been creeping up slowly for the past week or so. We live in a SUPER hard water area. Tank pH started around 7.8 and is now up around 8.2. We've been debating whether to do a partial water change but I don't know whether that will accomplish anything (besides getting water all over my floor). I have been adding half a gallon on fresh, conditioned water every few days to account for evaporation. Aside from that, we're working with the original water here.

I'm obviously open to suggestions because we're getting a little frustrated by all the waiting around. I asked the guys at the local fish store for help but they looked at me like I was nuts and told me to just buy some hardy fish and throw 'em in the tank. *sigh* And I just had to order a second bottle of Dr Tim's fancypants $6 ammonia because I have almost used up the entire first bottle I ordered (and I can't find any at the hardware store or Wallyworld that doesn't contain surfactants).

Thoughts, suggestions, words of wisdom? Thanks!

By the way, I'm following the instructions I found on this site. It seemed simple, until I got halfway through and then nothing happened...

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom