Greetings!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank Voyeur

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My name is Glenn.

I've been drowning fish for almost 30 years.....all freshwater (although my wife is bugging me to start a salt....or more specifically, she wants a cowfish). I usually have a single tank, but there were times when I've had three (60, 26 & 30). Predominantly S. American.....but my last tank of 60 - recently dismantled - was Tanganikan.

I just sold my house in Lakewood, CA and am starting a two-year lease on a rental house in mid-July......I expect that within two years, I'll retire and relocate (back) to the East Coast......out there, I'll be able to return to mad scientist finaticism....but for now, as my living arrangements are temporary and with less square footage, I am going to dive into a nano tank.....I've focused in on a Fluval Spec V.

I'm planning out the aquascaping using water sprite (floating it within a tubing ring), small anubias, java fern, moss ball, moss.....Once the tank is cycled, I am considering pygmy/sparkling gouramis, one CPO, few corys and/or otos....I've always pushed the limit on # fish within the tank, as I enjoy a nice community, but I know I need nano-restraint.

I'm far more fish-savvy than techno-communications savvy.....so it may take a little while for me to get the hang of navigating a forum.

Welcome to AA. Sounds like a nice setup your working towards. Lots of people here to help you on your journey. Enjoy the community.

Hi and welcome!

The Spec 5 is a nice tank. I don't have a recent pic but mine is stocked with micro rasboras, pygmy cories, an oto, and a bumblebee nerite.

Yes, welcome, fellow native Easterner. :cool: I predict you will do fine manipulating the forum technology. Congrats on your impending retirement. :flowers:

I push the stock limits somewhat, too, but I run double filtration (the 2nd is always a sponge) and all are planted. A little tricky to find space & can be a little homely in a small tank, but I like a nice, active community and healthy fish, as you do.

I have 15 fish in a 20 gal and 9 fish (soon to be 10 -- I am adopting a female Angelfish) in a 16 bowfront. Everyone is happy and healthy. Smallest fish are Vietnamese White Clouds and Neon Tetras, and largest are Sunset Gouramis, YoYo Loach, and a male Betta... and of course the Angel -- she might eclipse all of them.

I find the nano fish difficult to feed. I had CPDs and they were the fussiest little buggers! Have no idea how they stayed alive. Re-homed all of them because I was frustrated to death. My fish start out taking frozen foods but after a month or so won't eat it anymore! Makes me crazy. :banghead: Even the neons and white clouds are kind of fussy. I crush up the flakes to help with their small mouths & buy them the best foods I can find. :nono: oh well. I prefer fish that eat whatever you put in front of them. Because of that & many of my plants getting too tall for my 5 gal tanks, I migrated to 16 and 20.

A 16 is still a nano tank, right? :D

Sorry to yak at you so much. Hopefully it was at least mildly amusing. :whistle:

Cheers!

Yes, welcome, fellow native Easterner. :cool: I predict you will do fine manipulating the forum technology. Congrats on your impending retirement. :flowers:

I push the stock limits somewhat, too, but I run double filtration (the 2nd is always a sponge) and all are planted. A little tricky to find space & can be a little homely in a small tank, but I like a nice, active community and healthy fish, as you do.

I have 15 fish in a 20 gal and 9 fish (soon to be 10 -- I am adopting a female Angelfish) in a 16 bowfront. Everyone is happy and healthy. Smallest fish are Vietnamese White Clouds and Neon Tetras, and largest are Sunset Gouramis, YoYo Loach, and a male Betta... and of course the Angel -- she might eclipse all of them.

I find the nano fish difficult to feed. I had CPDs and they were the fussiest little buggers! Have no idea how they stayed alive. Re-homed all of them because I was frustrated to death. My fish start out taking frozen foods but after a month or so won't eat it anymore! Makes me crazy. :banghead: Even the neons and white clouds are kind of fussy. I crush up the flakes to help with their small mouths & buy them the best foods I can find. :nono: oh well. I prefer fish that eat whatever you put in front of them. Because of that & many of my plants getting too tall for my 5 gal tanks, I migrated to 16 and 20.

A 16 is still a nano tank, right? :D

Sorry to yak at you so much. Hopefully it was at least mildly amusing. :whistle:

Cheers!

Thanks for the outreach!

The nano is a two-year (no greater) learning experience......perhaps more of a challenge to channel what I know into a venue that affords less errors.....For my larger tanks, I always double-filtered by installing a powerhead with filter attachment. .....prolific plant growth and continually breeding fish are such wonderful problems to have, no?

Back
Top Bottom